Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd South Staffordshire

Roy Evans

I have a complete transcription of the 2nd South Stafford's war diary. Happy to do look-ups.

Roy

Roy

Can I take you up on your kind offer?

I'm researching this man:-

DODD, Harry, b. Sandbach, Cheshire, e. Crewe, r. Sandbach, Cheshire, 46566, Private, killed in action, France & Flanders, Saturday, 05/10/18, age 27, 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, 6th Brigade, 2nd Division, formerly S/255599, R.A.S.C. Buried Cambrai East Military Cemetery, Nord, France, grave VI. A. 21.

Can you let me know what the 2nd S Staffs were doing on this date, and immediately prior to it please?

Roy;

There isn't a snowball's chance of his being mentioned, but my maternal grandfather (Pte GE Cotton) served from 1915-19 with the Battalion. Unwounded, undecorated, but survived. He died in 1972, just before my 10th birthday. And before my interest in any military history of any sort.

Would be interested in the transcript (costs demurred, naturally) for his son and daughter's [my uncle/mother] sake.

Regards

Phil

Richard,

I have tried to post the first few days of October 1918 on forum, exactly as shown, in the diary but the format has gone all wrong! It is early morning after a late night! I will e-mail it to you off forum.

Phil.

At the moment the diary is in my own scribble and illegible to most people. I will however be typing it up in the not too distant future, please give me a nudge off forum in a month or two and I will see what I can do.

Roy

• 8 months later...

Kevin,

Entries around 22nd August 1918

ABLAINEEVELLE

18th Normal Trench Warfare.

19th Situation livelier. 2nd Lt. Armstrong wounded while i/c Wiring Party.

Lt. Slingsby i/c of Fighting Patrol, attack ENEMY POST capturing Four (4)

Prisoners.

20th Our Artillery very active.

Capt. A. Denton wounded.

Captain G. Dutton assumes command of ‘A’ Corps.

21st At ZERO 4.55 a.m. 99th Bde. Attack BLAIN TRENCH – A.13 objective

gained by 6.15 a.m. Bn. In CORPS RES. In old FRONT LINE.

22nd NORMAL. 3rd Div. Attack & capture COURCELLES.

23rd Move to RLY EMB. N.E. of COURCELLES jumping off point for attack on

ERVILLERS. ZERO 11 A.M. objective TRENCH 200x E. of VILLAGE

gained by 12.30 p.m.Officer casualties.

Lt. E.W. Rawson & 2nd Lt. R. Shakespear – killed.

CAPT. H.W.S. HATTON, Killed.

Lts. R.W.A. Gleed & Vantier & 2nd Lt. W.H. Jones wounded.

Captures. Prisoners – 510. Field Guns 9, Hows. 5. Machine Guns (Light

& Heavy) 52. (List of operations attached.)

Hope this helps

Roy

• 1 year later...

Roy,

When convenient, would it be possible to post the 2nd South Staffs War Diary entries for 28th July 1916 and Nov 13th 1916?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

AGWR

• 6 months later...
Roy,

When convenient, would it be possible to post the 2nd South Staffs War Diary entries for 28th July 1916 and Nov 13th 1916?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

AGWR

AGWR,

Very sorry, I appear to have missed your post previously, only now finding it by accident when searching for something else. Here is the info you requested.

28th July 1916

The 99th Brigade was withdrawn from DELVILLE WOOD in the early hours of the morning. The Battalion was disposed as follows – ‘A’ Company was in the front line near the Northern edge of the wood, ‘B’ Company in support, ‘C’ Company forming a defensive flank facing West and ‘D’ Company in Battalion Reserve. The whole wood was kept under incessant hostile shellfire and our losses were somewhat heavy. About 9 p m the Germans attempted a counter-attack accompanied by very heavy shelling of our support line and the Southern edge of the wood. Bombing patrols approached our lines but were easily beaten back and the whole of our original positions held. Arrangements were made to counter-attack in case the enemy penetrated the wood.During the bombardment part of the line held by ‘B’ Company was practically obliterated by heavy shells. All the Officers were killed and most of the men buried. In spite of this they stuck to their position. Part of ‘C’ Companies line was also shelled heavily. Most of the fire came from a heavy battery in the direction of GINCHY, which completely enfiladed our Support Line. The Battalion held on under great difficulties in the matter of supplies and water which had to be taken up to the Companies through a very heavy barrage.Messages of appreciation were conveyed to the Commanding Officer through the Brigadier from Army Corps, and Divisional Commanders, and from General DALY himself.

12th - 13th Novembert 1916

12th The Battalion moved into assembly trenches South of SERRE and during the night formed up for attack. There was practically no hostile shelling and no casualties occurred during the process of forming up.

13th The Battn. Successfully crossed the German front line and assaulted the second line wire, which was practically uncut. The battalions from the left divisions came across our front breaking up our formations. Reorganisation was rendered difficult by the bluey mist. Casualties among officers and other ranks were very heavy. Among others two company commanders are missing – one known to be wounded, two subalterns are missing and believed killed, several other subalterns were wounded; the four Company Sergeant Majors were wounded, C.S.M. Cox remained on duty till the battalion was relieved. The Chaplain joined Bn. H.Q. and acted as dresser. The old defensive lines in MONK and LEGEND were reoccupied.

Roy

Roy,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to type up these entries. Just what I needed.

Regards,

AGWR

Glad to be of help.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

My interest is the Cambs Rgt. A draft of Cambs Rgt men went to one of the TF btns of South Staffs.

One of them was H G Mann, later in 2nd South Staffs, wounded 29-9-18, Dow 1-10-18. No 235374. He was awarded the MM 23/24-8-18 "for taking platoon into action on August 23 & 24 in the absence of an officer & displaying great courage and leadership without any regard to his own personal safety".

Any info on where wounded etc & his MM award would be useful.

The 235*** sequence relates to ?/5 South Staffs. Any trace of a draft from the Cambs Rgt to any of these btns?

Cliff,

Diary entry for 23rd - 24th August 1918

Roy

post-336-1131470855.jpg

Cliff,

Diary entry for 28th September 1918 (to show where they were)

Roy

post-336-1131471040.jpg

Cliff,

Diary entry for 29th September 1918.

It looks likely that he got caught by a shell?

Roy

post-336-1131471129.jpg

I also have two pages detailing the action of the 23rd 24th which I will scan and post later or maybe tomorrow, I'm running late at the moment.

Roy

Cliff,

Here is the first page of the battle narrative 23rd - 24th August 1918. The print quality is not good, my copies being taken from a 'carbon copy' original.

post-336-1131559577.jpg

Second page.

post-336-1131559819.jpg

Cliff,

I've looked at the Nominal Rolls for the 1/5th South Staffs and whist there are two entries for 'Mann', your man is not one of them. I am not aware of a N.R. for the 2/5th.

Roy

Thanks Roy.

Cliff,

Let me know if you need anything else.

Roy

Roy,

I'm interested in the fate of this man who was KIA on 17.02.1917.

Name: SORRELL, WILLIAM JOHN

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 17/02/1917

Service No: 9660

Additional information: Son of John Sorrell, of 35, Boundary Rd., Colliers Wood, Merton, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 7 B.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

His name appears on a local war memorial. Extract of War Diary around this time would be most appreciated.

With thanks,

Chris.

Chris,

Here is the early part of February 1917 for context.

post-336-1131800036.jpg

Chris,

Next page. The 17th is not shown as such, which is rather unusual. As you will see, there was some intense action on the 16th so maybe the action carried through, or maybe the officer responsible for writing the diary was killed. Hope this helps anyway.

Roy

post-336-1131800239.jpg