Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medal Index Cards to be destroyed

Neil_York

Dear Forum Members

Are any Forum members aware that the original copies of soldiers medal index cards held at Hayes are going to be destroyed. No official establishment has volunteered to take them over and preserve them.

The reverse of the cards, which are not on microfiche at the National Archives or online, contain the name and address of the person to whom the medals were despatched, along with any other correspondence concerning the medals. This information is invaluable to medal collectors and genealogists/family historians alike.

There are approximately 6 million cards contained in around 78 filing cabinets.

Does anyone have any idea how we might save them because I for one do not want to see them destroyed.

TTFN

Neil

No official establishment has volunteered to take them over and preserve them

If this is the case, we'd better start thinking of one -

With 78 filing cabinets, it won't be easy:

off the top of my head - the medals office in Bromsgrove?

A collective brainstorm required?

Of course, I hope it is not actually going to happen.

regards

doogal

the same thing happenend to the individual vehicle index cards for WW2 British vehicles. They were offered to any institution or individual who would house them, as there was no takers they went up in smoke. Military vehicle enthusasts have been crying into their beer ever since. Also if you take the example of the BBC's Domesday project 2000, where a small fortune was spent putting all the info on the latest technology, now ten years on there are only three working machines left that can still read that type of disc, the primary source must be maintained as paper is far more durable than any tech' storage system.

If they cannot be saved can we have those that are relevent to our families?

If it is of any relevance the Army Medal Office at Droitwich closes on 31st March 2005 & becomes part of the MOD Medal Office at RAF Innsworth

All The Best

Chris

As already stated a Lottery appeal would be best, even if it is only to provide storage or the means to transcribe the reverse side.

It is not as if there is a shortage of storage space in other MOD properties. Writing to newspapers and MPs too, for it will have a (theoretical) impact upon nearly everyone in the UK who wants to study their family history.

Failing that, perhaps if offers were made to buy or house the documents they might pass them on.

Richard

Where did you hear this ?

Mick

The news came from a very reputable member of staff at Kew yesterday (Monday 22nd Feb.)

It has been said by a senior member of the NA staff that only the front of the card needs to be held on microfiche in order to provide a simple reference to the medal rolls. Therefore it seems that requests for help from the NA would probably fall on deaf ears.

The same happened a number of years ago to WW1 Royal Marines papers. The PRO decided it only wanted papers relating to Portsmouth marines so the remainder were marked for destruction. Luckily the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton stepped in and took them into care. I found this hard to believe until I visited Yevilton and saw the bundles marked "for destruction" or words to that effect.

I'm sure we could find 78 people to take a filing cabinet each and for each person to undertake to provide a photocopy to anyone who requested information. I'm not sure who to contact at Hayes about this or even if they would allow it.

I don't know what other members think but I would be willing to pay £10 for my Gt. Grandfather's card index.

TTFN

Neil

Could be an institutional problem if they were given or sold to private persons, however, for it could pose problems of copyright.

Most govt. departments would seem to prefer to destroy such documents rather than pass them onto someone who could feasibly make a profit out of them (e.g. that, aside from security considerations, is why old computers etc. tend to be destroyed rather than sold on).

I can understand the principle behind these guidelines to stifle corruption and favoritism etc. (shades of the museum sales thread), but to destroy something of historical worth simply because it is too burdensome to move seems rather typical of the civil service.

Unfortunately, even if we offered £10 for an original MIC, and even if every one was saved, it would probably end up costing the MOD £12 to deal with each enquiry so they wouldn't do it. (They can't do with employing one junior grade person for a year in the same room as the filing cabinets, with a pile of envelopes to deal with email purchases: far too simple and cost effective.)

Richard

I can not believe this, and it does beggars belief. There are too many mistakes in the info. on-line, and if the cards are destroyed then there be no way to double check if the info. on-line is correct or not.

Annette

What is needed is a team of volunteers (us?) to scan them BEFORe they are shredded. Surely we can work out something.

Robbie :(

Whilst I agree this action would be very short sighted to say the least, can we get official confirmation of this? If this really gong to happen, there may be other interested groups and individuals who would help bring pressure to bear.

Terry Reeves

I agree with Terry, firstly we need confirmation as to whether the destruction of these cards is to take place or not.

Secondly, what proportion of cards have information on the reverse? This has been discussed previously on the forum and it was disclosed that only a small proportion of the cards do have names, addresses or other information on the back of them.

As Annette says the destruction of the cards will make double checking of info impossible......with the digitisation of the archive what are the odds that the fiches at the NA are likely to go the same way before long?

Andy

Guest deepathart

I am happy to do some typing and put them on CD - what if someone photocopies them or takes photos and emails them to members to type and put on CD - perhaps alphabetically, or something similar.

Dee

As to a possible storage site, the Gunpowder Mills in Enfield, might be persuaded, they have lots of space and buildings and are trying to attract more visitors. Ask Trenchwalker

JOhn

blood hell sod the mills ill personally ditch mu lewis guns

everyone i have a lock up we use the store food etc i also can get lorrys please tell me were qwho i can get my hands on . firstly to get the the 27 cabernats on the back of the lorry then to give who evers doing this a smack in the chopps

let me know now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

phone 0208 245 1792

come on people we are going to get a shift on if this is happening

. (They can't do with employing one junior grade person for a year in the same room as the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=filing%20cabinets" onmouseover="window.status='filing cabinets'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">filing cabinets</a>, with a pile of envelopes to deal with email purchases: far too simple and cost effective.)

Richard

i dont mind :rolleyes:

As already stated a Lottery appeal would be best, even if it is only to provide storage or the means to transcribe the reverse side.

Under current lottery rules, it is unlikely they would grant the money.

But if a bid was submitted, it would have to be from a credible organisation, so it still begs the question of who wants to take it on.

Most govt. departments would seem to prefer to destroy such documents rather than pass them onto someone who could feasibly make a profit out of them

I would totally oppose any scheme for private profit to be made out of public records, as opposed to charging to cover proven costs.

I've emailed my MP asking for his help.

You can find yours here: MP Contact info

TTFN

Neil

Likewise

All The Best

Chris