Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

63rd Coy Machine Gun Corps

Guest Cossack

I have my Grandfathers medals which show he is a private in the MGC but I also have a photo of him in his hospital 'blues' & sketch done by him at the time which gives his info as 'Gunner E.L.Halls 63rd Coy MGC wounded 30th Nov 1917 at Holebeke Belgium', he has drawn a picture of the MGC badge on it but also a RFC badge? Can anyone explain if there is any connection between the two units at this point? I would also be grateful to receiving any info regarding the units involvement at Holebeke! Thanks....Andrei

Sergt Joseph CONNER (sic), No 18754, 63 BATTALION, MGC was awarded the Croix de Guerrre (France) in the London Gazette of 29/1/1919. He is also stated to have been a resident of Salford, Lancs. I wonder if the description of his unit (as shown on the photograph) was added at a later date, since 63 Bn was not formed until 1/3/1918. The fact that it appears as his unit in the LG as late as 1919 adds considerable weight to the credance of its description. 63 Company, on the other hand, later formed part of 37 Bn. 63 Bn MGC was made up, to a large degree of RNVR personnel of Anson, Drake, Howe, Hood and the RM Bns, serving alongside four battalions of line regiments. Do you have any other information about him?

Evening Cossack.

63rd Company were a part of the 37th Battalion,MGC,in the 37th Division.

Looking at Chris's description of the Div,i was interested to see that they served during the Battle of Menin Road Ridge,during 3rd Ypres.

I had a Great-grandad at that battle,and a few after,and his division,the 58th,were in the area at the end of November.

Click on the 37th Division link,on the above list of MGC,companies,and you will find loads of info.

All the best.

Simon.

Guest Celtic75(cdn allies)
Sergt Joseph CONNER (sic), No 18754, 63 BATTALION, MGC was awarded the Croix de Guerrre (France) in the London Gazette of 29/1/1919.  He is also stated  to have been a resident of Salford, Lancs.   I wonder if the description of his unit (as shown on the photograph) was added at a later date, since 63 Bn was not formed until 1/3/1918.  The fact  that it appears as his unit in the LG as late as 1919 adds considerable weight to the credance of its description.  63 Company, on the other hand, later formed part of 37 Bn.  63 Bn MGC was made up, to a large degree of RNVR personnel of Anson, Drake, Howe, Hood and the RM Bns, serving alongside  four battalions of line regiments.  Do you have any other information about him?

OMG... hey Sgt Joseph Connor is my grandfather,

I thought 63rd mgc was part of 63rd naval division.I am new at this and have been trying to do my own resarch.Can you tell me what you mean by salford Lancs?Or please send me a link to the london gazzete page where you got that info.I cant believ i was searching the threads and came across this one.I would be greatfull for any info you can tell me or us for that matter

Drew...

Heres the proof,sorry cossak didnt mean to hijack your thread

medalcard.jpg

Guest Celtic75(cdn allies)
Evening Cossack.

63rd Company were a part of the 37th Battalion,MGC,in the 37th Division.

Looking at Chris's description of the Div,i was interested to see that they served during the Battle of Menin Road Ridge,during 3rd Ypres.

I had a Great-grandad at that battle,and a few after,and his division,the 58th,were in the area at the end of November.

Click on the 37th Division link,on the above list of MGC,companies,and you will find loads of info.

All the best.

Simon.

if you click on the battle of menin road,the page is under construction.I searched the web but couldnt really find anything with info on 63rd bn machine gun corps in realtion to menin road.Any one have another link or info concerning the 63rd bn with menin road,thank

Drew...

'Gunner E.L.Halls 63rd Coy MGC wounded 30th Nov 1917 at Holebeke Belgium'

Andrei

Your Grandfather was wounded after the battles of Third Ypres had died down. As a member of the MGC, it is unlikely he was wounded participating in raid. More likely he was hit by shrapnel from a stray shell. I dont know if the 37th Division has a divisional history - the Naval & Military Press dont have one.

Robert