Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

951 William Hannay Fothergill King Edwards Horse

RegHannay

Hello, can anyone help me find the movements of the King Edwards Horse cavalry. In particular. A.squadron. They arrived in France (Armentieres?) around 29th July 1915. I can find very little information about KEH so thought --- ask the professionals ------ I have an interest in trooper 951 William Hannay Fothergill  A.squadron KEH, Brother of my grandfather. I believe he emigrated to Argentina pre WW1 returning to join up in 1914/15. He survived the war.

Thanks in advance

Dave D

7 hours ago, helpjpl said:

This site may be of interest:

http://kingedwardshorse.net/

1.  William Fothergill:

http://kingedwardshorse.net/nominal_roll.html

2.  A Squadron gets some mentions here:

http://kingedwardshorse.net/history.html

JP

Thank you for this information JP, fantastic, I know that William was at one time sniping and performing forward observation duties. The brothers met up on a fairly regular basis for the first few months until Regie was hospitalised. Thanks again

Dave D

Edited by RegHannay

10 hours ago, helpjpl said:

This site may be of interest:

http://kingedwardshorse.net/

1.  William Fothergill:

http://kingedwardshorse.net/nominal_roll.html

2.  A Squadron gets some mentions here:

http://kingedwardshorse.net/history.html

JP

Thanks to helpjpl, I have found that 961 William Hannay Fothergill KEH  medals are held in a private collection. Perhaps Reginald Hannay Fothergill's medal set is with them. Nice thought. (sorry 951)

Edited by RegHannay

• 6 months later...

I have been researching William, brother of my grandfather. They both served with 12th division, William KEH and my grandfather RAMC.

All I know of William Is  b.1887 d.1955. Service number 951 A.squadron KEH, I believe he signed up in 1914 (having emigrated Argentina?) and arrived in France about 28th July 1915. Apart from that all I have is written in my grandfathers diary, I have found little else. 

At some time I was led to believe that after the war he again emigrated, possibly Canada to continue in the farming industry. His death was recorded in Christchurch Dorset in 1955 but I do not know if he returned to the UK.

I would love to know what happened in Williams life and Any information would be very appreciated. 

Thank you.

Dave

The medal roll tells us when he was discharged. The Ancestry roll suggest that he was in the 2nd King Edward's Horse. I seem to recall there was animosity between the two formations of the KEH. The Ancestry medal roll has recently told me that the Army Cyclist Corps was a rifle regiment, so I would look for other evidence to confirm that he was in 2nd KEH and not the other one.

There is nothing on the BWM & VM roll to indicate that he served in any other unit; only the one is recorded.

Image below of 1914-15 Star roll, reproduced on a fair use basis, courtesy of Ancestry 

Fothergill.JPG

Thank you Keith, I know he spent time temp working with Military mounted police H.Q at Nieppe for a time, probably on loan to look after the stabling.

Spent time sniping. His C.O was Major George Gray Russell. D.S.O who was totally disliked by his men. I think William was savvy and kept his head down for the duration.

It is after 1919 that is a bit of a mystery, I cannot find him on any passenger lists but I Believe he went abroad again.

Dave

• spof changed the title to 951 William Hannay Fothergill King Edwards Horse
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Am interested to read about George Gray Russell DSO and the fact he was hated by his men. Would appreciate knowing more about this as am researching the Russell family. Thanks, Natalie

Find my Past have a reprint of Argentine Recruits in British force. It is a massive and well researched list - click -

It has him as 1st King Edward Horse and gives his number as 961

Edited by corisande

6 hours ago, corisande said:

Find my Past have a reprint of Argentine Recruits in British force. It is a massive and well researched list - click -

It has him as 1st King Edward Horse and gives his number as 961

thanks corisande. I have a fair amount on William, the only info I have been unable to find is his burial. He went to Canada in 1926. reappears in the UK where his death was recorded in Christchurch 1955 by his brother Reginald. Looked through burial records for the area but no joy. There is a possibility that he may have been buried in Grasmere, the place he loved. Likelihood is I wont find him, shame because I feel I have got to know him through the research.

Dave 

6 hours ago, Natwilnz said:

Hello,

Am interested to read about George Gray Russell DSO and the fact he was hated by his men. Would appreciate knowing more about this as am researching the Russell family. Thanks, Natalie

Good evening Natalie

There are two short entries in my grandfathers diary that mention George Russell.

'I had tea with Major Russell whom I liked very well, (officer to officer) although he told me he was unpopular among the men'

'William told me he was very fed up with the life there (Hinges) and told me how all the men cordially dislike the CO (Russell) who does nothing for the men's pleasure and overwhelms them with fatigues, even on Xmas day'  (He does sound like a typical old Victorian Commanding officer) 

That's all there is I'm afraid. I do have a  part war diary of KEH ( Free download from The National Archives) some of which was written by Russell, I will see if I can find it.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks so much, very helpful.

Interesting to see what kind of adult he grew into. 

Knew of his war exploits, but this adds to it a lot.

Had a quite difficult, though privileged, life growing up here in New Zealand.

Excelled at school, then Cambridge University, good rower.

Cheers.