Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Quarantine restrictions for returnees to UK from Belgium, 7th August

NigelS

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for anyone that's currently in Belgium and planning to return to the UK shortly, but the BBC is giving, as 'Breaking News' 02:00 BST, 7th August, that anyone returning  from there (also Andorra & The Bahamas) after 04:00 BST on Saturday will be required by law to go into 14 day quarantine ('Midnight Thursday' is given for Wales, but it's not clear from the wording whether this is now in force - more likely - or whether it's from next Thursday) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53687740 Clearly the proverbial 'fat lady' is nowhere near ready to sing anytime soon.

NigelS

Edited by NigelS

have heard that people are travelling back through France at the moment instead of out of Belgium to avoid the 14 days quarantine, but for how long..

1 hour ago, chaz said:

have heard that people are travelling back through France at the moment instead of out of Belgium to avoid the 14 days quarantine, but for how long..

Most people coming back from Belgium by car would have to go through France, surely?

Edited by sassenach

We are in Normandy and as I understand it, we now either have to quarantine for 24 days or take a test on return. The latter will be our option I think. 

There is currently  no quarantine for travellers returning from France  to the UK.

Belgium, Andorra, Spain and elsewhere, Yes.

Not France.

Not yet.

On 07/08/2020 at 02:20, NigelS said:

('Midnight Thursday' is given for Wales, but it's not clear from the wording whether this is now in force - more likely - or whether it's from next Thursday) 

Last Thursday for Wales, two days  ahead of England.

On 08/08/2020 at 09:01, chaz said:

Keep yourself and others safe. Don't try and get round the regulations. The virus has no boundaries

10 hours ago, sc-em said:

We are in Normandy and as I understand it, we now either have to quarantine for 24 days or take a test on return. The latter will be our option I think. 

Return to where ? - and where does the 24 hour quarantine information come from ?

Tom

27 minutes ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Return to where ? - and where does the 24 hour quarantine information come from ?

Tom

Think he said 24 days, I thought it was 14 days

6 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Think he said 24 days, I thought it was 14 days

The "odd" mistake can provoke a response :D - 24 days, correct. So returning to where from France needs 24 days isolation ?

Returning to the UK from France as I understand it currently needs no isolation. "Fake news" ?

Tom

What chance do we have of staying safe if others don't know the regs?

From France to Uk. Big fingers small keypad on phone. 14 days. 
It seems we are still okay.  Father in law’s 3rd hand news. 
perhaps he just wants to keeps us away. :mellow:

Edited by sc-em

I haven't heard anything about taking a test on return as an alternative to quarantine should that happen. The chances of the authorities here being able to organise that seem to me approximately zero. 

Speaking to a lady at work today, who is due to go out with Leger at the end of September visiting the battlefields of Loos.  

she should be ok, shouldn’t she.  Oh no, she’s not, the hotel that being is used as she enquired about this,  is the Horizon Ath Lessines which is in Belgium.  

let’s say she is not happy about this, even more so the use of reusable face coverings are not aloud on planes entering France and must be disposable ones.  

will this extend to coach travel as well

Will

Impossible to say what the situation will be by then. Belgium may no longer be subject to quarantine on return, France may be. Or both may be. Or neither. 

• Admin

Cancelling my trip to France next week as it's  just too uncertain, I can't self isolate for two weeks if it does happen,  and can't afford to take two weeks unpaid leave. 

I'm booking for second week in September , got to go as house should be completing... Will have to wait and see.

• kenf48 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Admin

The information on travel abroad is on the UK Gov website

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Anyone seeking to visit, or return from any country must keep themselves updated and should avail themselves of an email alert

as noted on the site:-

"Countries and territories can be taken off or added to this exempt list at any time.

The GWF is not the place discuss, or by error or misjudgement be responsible for false information, however well intended.

• kenf48 locked this topic