Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Regt

Tobias

Hello,

I’m just wondering if the 1st Battalion of the Cheshire Regt were involved in the Battle of the Somme? 
it’s for research on my first cousin fourth removed who was wounded on the 3rd July 1916 and I assumed it was at the Somme. I know his Bn were involved with the battle later on in September but seeing if they were there in July?

thanks Tobias 

Hello Tobias

1st Bn Cheshires were in 15 Infantry Brigade, 5th Division throughout the War. In early July 1916 they were in VI Corps, Third Army, but not directly involved in the first phase of the Battles of the Somme. They were certainly not far away, and there were casualties all along the front on virtually every day. The War Diary of the battalion can be downloaded free of charge from the National Archives' website. It is in this file:

WO 95/1571 15 Infantry Brigade   
WO 95/1571 1 Battalion Cheshire Regiment 1914 Aug. - 1917 Nov.  

You may have to add a suffix such as /1 as the diary is in two parts, before and after its service in Italy.

Good hunting!

Ron

3 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Tobias

1st Bn Cheshires were in 15 Infantry Brigade, 5th Division throughout the War. In early July 1916 they were in VI Corps, Third Army, but not directly involved in the first phase of the Battles of the Somme. They were certainly not far away, and there were casualties all along the front on virtually every day. The War Diary of the battalion can be downloaded free of charge from the National Archives' website. It is in this file:

WO 95/1571 15 Infantry Brigade   
WO 95/1571 1 Battalion Cheshire Regiment 1914 Aug. - 1917 Nov.  

You may have to add a suffix such as /1 as the diary is in two parts, before and after its service in Italy.

Good hunting!

Ron

Thank you very much Ron!