Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J.Bean . Notts & Derby Regt

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from Sherwood Forest

Here is a real long shot that has had me baffled for years .

I have a G.V.R. Regular Army L.S.G.C .to 4849787 Pte J .Bean   Signaller Notts & Derby Regt. 

I have a M.I.C. giving the date of issue of the medal as 1927. I would assume that he did service

during the Great War and that he has been re-numbered . Ancestry U.K Military Discharge Index 1920-1971

gives his date of birth as 3 December 1887 and his number as 4849787.

So can any of you good folk give me any other information about him? , if so I will be very grateful.

Old Robin Hood

On Findmypast it gives his service number as 48497.

Searching 48497 it also throws up 48497 Leopold H Harrison, same regiment.

Renumbered as 16494, Leopold Hart Harrison, Labour Corps.

Renumbered as 619798 Royal Engineers

Edited by sadbrewer

9 hours ago, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

I have a G.V.R. Regular Army L.S.G.C .to 4849787 Pte J .Bean   Signaller Notts & Derby Regt. 

Thats a post war renumbering from a block originally issued to the Leicestershire Regiment, (4848001 to 4904000).

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

Any service records would be with the Ministry of Defence.

If his Great War service was with the Leicestershire Regiment and he served in a Theatre of War then there are only two MiC’s.

Private 12423 John J. Bean, Leicestershire Regiment then Private 238845 Labour Corps. (Probably John James Bean based on the indexing on Ancestry).

• -        Qualified for the 1914/15 Star, having first landed in France on the 29th July 1915. Also entitled to Victory Medal & British War Medal. Class Z 3rd February 1919. While he  could have re-enlisted, the transfer to the Labour Corps does raise concerns about whether he would have been accepted into the Regular Army post-war, plus the gap can’t have been too long if he received the LSGC medal in 1927. Leicestershire service number suggests Kitchener Army recruit.
  • -        FMP have a daily listing of the sick and wounded N.C.O.’s and men of the Expeditionary  - France which includes 12423 Private J.J. Bean, of “D” Company, 7th Leicesters. He ws recorded as severely wounded and admitted Tooting Military Hospital, Church Lane, Tooting, S.W. (London) on 3 July 1916.
  • -        No surviving service records on FMP

Private 10091 John Bean, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, then Private 49604 Leicestershire Regiment.

• -        Originally on the MiC as entitled to the 1914/15 Star, having first landed in Africa (4a) on the 16th October 1914, along with the Victory Medal and the British Medal, much of this entitlement was subsequently deleted. He had in fact landed in India and remained there throughout war. He was entitled to the British War Medal.
  • -        No surviving service records on FMP.
  • -        Paul Nixons’ Army Service Number site shows the Regular Army Battalions of the Loyal North Lancs issued service number 10091 between the 26th January 1910, (9904) and the 6th January 1911, (10114). https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/06/loyal-north-lancashire-regiment-1st-2nd.html
  • -        The 1911 Census of England & Wales, taken on the 2nd April 1911, has a 24 year old Private John Bean, 2nd Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, recorded at Ghorpuri Barracks, Poona, India. He was born London, Middlesex and unmarried. He is not shown with any trade but the men listed either side of him are down as Telegraphists

As he was Regular Army and there is no indication that 10091 John Bean left the Army in the immediate post-war period, he would seem the better candidate - however would service from c1910 to c1927 qualify him for the L.S.G.C. Medal?

Hope that helps,

Peter

Hi ORH,

21 minutes ago, PRC said:

Any service records would be with the Ministry of Defence

The MoD do have what's left of it, but it would cost you thirty quid to get a copy/summary.

image.png.5ca0ce434d95fb9e14298a2a855ccfb4.png

Regards

Chris

Greetings from Sherwood Forest

Very many thanks for the information, most  grateful.

Robin