Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Insignia? Battalion Patch? Sherwood Foresters

Simon J Emmerson

Hi. I'm trying to work out the Divisional Patch on the army of the photographed Sherwood Forester. 

It looks like a Roman Numeral I similar to the Guards Battalions insignia used during the Great War. 

I'd be grateful for any help identifying the patch.

Regards Simon 

WaterMark_2020-08-03-08-33-35.jpg

20200731_195209.jpg

There’s no badge of that style for the Sherwood Foresters mentioned in David Bilton’s seminal work on the Kitchener battalions, which suggests a regular, or perhaps TF after the T had been less often used.

4 hours ago, headgardener said:

Do you have a name for the man in the photo?

Screenshot_20200803-155755_eBay.jpg

So, his surname is ‘Feb’ and his number is ‘1918’....!

I only ask because I’ve got a photo of an N&DR man who looks remarkably similar - don’t know his name though.

Cant help with the patch, unfortunately. I was wondering whether it’s a Diamond shape which is partly obscured by a slight fold in the man’s sleeve (the points at 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock are visible, those at 3 and 6 are obscured, if you see what I mean). The alignment with his sleeve doesn’t seem right for an ‘I’ or an upright bar of some kind.

Given what's implied by his magnified eyes viewed through a lens he's done extremely well to have both, a signaller's and a marksman's badge!

1 hour ago, headgardener said:

So, his surname is ‘Feb’ and his number is ‘1918’....!

I only ask because I’ve got a photo of an N&DR man who looks remarkably similar - don’t know his name though.

Cant help with the patch, unfortunately. I was wondering whether it’s a Diamond shape which is partly obscured by a slight fold in the man’s sleeve (the points at 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock are visible, those at 3 and 6 are obscured, if you see what I mean). The alignment with his sleeve doesn’t seem right for an ‘I’ or an upright bar of some kind.

Many thanks for the advice 👍 I appreciate you trying to help me. 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Given what's implied by his magnified eyes viewed through a lens he's done extremely well to have both, a signaller's and a marksman's badge!

Yes I too thought the same 

His 1914 pattern belt might suggest a Service Battalion.

12 minutes ago, mark holden said:

His 1914 pattern belt might suggest a Service Battalion.

But unfortunately not the arm badge.

As Frogsmile says the mark does not equate with any of the service battalions. I think it leaves us with a choice of  2/5th Bn - a green triangle, 2/7th Bn a green square or the 2/8th Bn a green diamond.

I would not like to give the final word on this as there could be distortion of any of those marks by creasing of the sleeve and the oblique view, but the enlargement looks most like a diamond, (2/8th Bn) to me. (The other TF battalions I have notes on wore a circular mark or had the mark on the back of the jacket.

Mike

I don't believe its either a square or diamond even with the blow up. It appears to be a straight piece of cloth angled by the pose of his arm.  It may well be an as yet undocumented patch. IMO of course.

It does look like an angled 'I'.

That's quite a shoulder title also, all separate parts by the look of it, and might be my eyes, but it looks like the universal bugle badge on top of the title???

Chris

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Maybe he's just wearing someone else's uniform....?

😉

44 minutes ago, headgardener said:

Maybe he's just wearing someone else's uniform....?

😉

Ha! 🤨