Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My great grandfather served in the Royal Field Artillery in the first world war but we are struggling to find his war record because there are so many John Jones'. I have attached two images of badges we are struggling to identify and the one with the bulldog has a "reg no" on the reverse which I wonder if that is a regiment number? The silver crest is worn but I wonder if anyone has any idea what it is? 

Any help appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Rose. I wonder if the silver one might be a Temperance medal? I've not seen an example of the enamel badge before, but I imagine the number might be an issue number to the badge rather than his regimental nu,beer. Some family information, place of birth, parents names, any middle names will help members with your search.

Michelle 

Hi Rose

The top one is a British Bulldog Patriotic Badge - no actual military collection - and sold to the general public during WW1.

See here for a fine one.

https://www.sallybosleysbadgeshop.com/shop.php?ps=1&pg=3#prettyPhoto

Dave

Greetings from Sherwood Forest

Just a guess here but I would say that the United Empire badge is a Patriotic organisation of which there were a few of during

WW1 ( and WW2 for that matter ). The REG number would stand for Registered Design .It is of good quality as it appears to be

made in silver as it has silver hall mark . It is possible to date the badge from this. I think that the mark is Birmingham.

The second badge is a watch fob medal which could be bought from any jeweller and could be engraved with initials or anything.

It isn't military.

I am sure that others with more knowledge will be able to give much more accurate information.

Old Robin Hood 

Thank you to all of the above replies. Really helpful even though it seems the badges aren't related to his military record, it means I won't be distracted by any red herrings any longer. Thank you!