MaxD

Man signs up for 7 and 5 in Sep 1898

Extends to 8 years with the colours in Mar 1904

To the reserve Sep 1906

Re-engages in D reserve Sep 1910

Mobilised 6 Aug 1914

Serves until discharge 12 Nov 1919

Service towards engagement calculated as 21 years 46 days

Service to pension calculates as 14 years 38 days (difference presumably the time on reserve) - no disciplinary etc deductions

Does he get a pension (all other things being equal)??

Max

19 hours ago, MaxD said:

Man signs up for 7 and 5 in Sep 1898

Extends to 8 years with the colours in Mar 1904

To the reserve Sep 1906

Re-engages in D reserve Sep 1910

Mobilised 6 Aug 1914

Serves until discharge 12 Nov 1919

Service towards engagement calculated as 21 years 46 days

Service to pension calculates as 14 years 38 days (difference presumably the time on reserve) - no disciplinary etc deductions

Does he get a pension (all other things being equal)??

Max

I had hoped an expert on pay and pensions might respond but it’s something of a dry subject Max and I cannot recall if there was a minimum pensionable service back then (as there is now), or whether the full 21-years was necessary.  I’m assuming that the details will be in the Royal Pay Warrant of the time, although please forgive me if I leave you to trawl through it (it is searchable): https://archive.org/details/royalwarrantfor00offigoog/page/n7/mode/2up

As a general point of information I never tire of drawing attention to what I consider to be the single greatest resource for searching out details on the British Army’s minutia and human record, which is provided by an offshoot of the Families in British India Society at this link: https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army

It is painstakingly maintained by forum member, ‘Maureene’, with huge dedication, and contains links to what seems like 10-years of profitable reading.  As just one example this link usefully leads to Military Periodicals Online, such as the Royal Pay Warrant referred to above: https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Military_periodicals_online

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile - I am, as so often, indebted to you.  The added value bit leading to Military Periodicals is most welcome - another bookmark locked in place.

Many thanks indeed.

max

The Royal Warrant on Pay will have the answer. It was revised in 1906,1907 and 1914 but how different it is to the 1899 version I don't know. Service Pensions are probably the only pension related thing I've not looked at.

Reading the RW seems to indicate that 14 years was the qualifying minimum.

Craig

2 hours ago, MaxD said:

Frogsmile - I am, as so often, indebted to you.  The added value bit leading to Military Periodicals is most welcome - another bookmark locked in place.

Many thanks indeed.

max

Glad to help Max.  FIBISWiki is excellent, also the Hathi Trust.  Here is the 1907 Pay Warrant: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433008084042&view=1up&seq=9

Craig - sorry missed your input with the later Pay Warrant dates  - thank you.  And thank you again Frogsmile, I did have the nagging thought when looking at the 1899 PW how different any later versions might have been.

Magnifying specs needed!

Max

34 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Craig - sorry missed your input with the later Pay Warrant dates  - thank you.  And thank you again Frogsmile, I did have the nagging thought when looking at the 1899 PW how different any later versions might have been.

Magnifying specs needed!

Max

I think that there’s the option to magnify the view and go to full page (or close to it).  I have the same trouble otherwise.

I have made my interpretation of articles 1062 et seq which is that his 14 years plus qualifying period meant a pension at a lower rate than had he served 21 years straight.  This may well be wrong given that a bear of little brain is easily lost in the dense thickets of the paras and sub paras. 

I believe the original enquirer will be content with that and, if not, I have invited them to look at the PW themselves -  I certainly am not tempted to die in a ditch on this one!

Prime result for me of this thread is the guidance given on where these documents are to be found so thanks to both again.

NFA

Max

It seems an eminently sensible conclusion to me.  Differing but proportional pension rates under similar circumstances also applied to the succeeding pension schemes right up to and including that for 1975.

2 hours ago, MaxD said:

I have made my interpretation of articles 1062 et seq which is that his 14 years plus qualifying period meant a pension at a lower rate than had he served 21 years straight.  This may well be wrong given that a bear of little brain is easily lost in the dense thickets of the paras and sub paras. 

I believe the original enquirer will be content with that and, if not, I have invited them to look at the PW themselves -  I certainly am not tempted to die in a ditch on this one!

Prime result for me of this thread is the guidance given on where these documents are to be found so thanks to both again.

NFA

Max

Yes, it seems it increased in stages based on several different criteria, the main being the 14 years starting point & then staging from there.

Craig