Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book C R War Letters Chaplains to the Forces Unusual Fins

tharkin56

I found this book today in a pile of book, must be privately bound and includes letters from Chaplains. The page numbers have been written on by hand but the letters appear in a chronological order and have been copied from something as the original page numbers make no sense and the articles start half way through. Letters seem to come from different chaplains Fr J. C. Fitzgerald, F.R E. K Talbot, Rev I Tunnicliffe.

The inscription in the book is dated Brighton 1922 and Rachel Ellen Walker whom may be a child or wife of C.R

Any ideas appreciated, outside of my normal scope of research

20200802_150515.jpg

20200802_150507.jpg

20200802_150440.jpg

20200802_150434.jpg

20200802_150407.jpg

Looks very interesting. The reference to “Brethren” makes me think of United Board CF’s. And there’s a reference in the 4th photo to “N. Sykes, late of the F.A.U.” - this must be Norman Sykes who left the Friends Ambulance Unit in April 1918.

Yes- the book  is privately bound- the binding is English and from the inter-war period, probably (experienced guess here) sometime after the mid-1920s,by typeface used on spine title title and the type of binding cloth-which is either pebbled cloth or,I think, leather cloth-the latter is pebbled (ie bumpy-ln the face of spotty teenager) but a cheap substitute for a full leather binding.

The key question is-does the book have a titlepage,either printed or written by hand?   I suspect not.

From your pictures, the volume is a collection  of what are called offprints from articles that have appeared ina larger work. They might be considered separate pamphlets-the difference between a pamphlet and an offprint is that one has the pagination of the larger work it is taken from, (offprint) while a pamphlet should have stand-alone pagination

The typography is English, rather than French/Belgian,as you might expect from chaplains in the field. The layout and the typefaces used are strongly indicative that this was printed by the Church Publishing Company- a printing company whose main business was parish magazines. The main typeface used is pretty much the same as many parish magazines I have waded through, while the headings in Gothic or "Black Letter" were a standard feature of CPC work.Alas, there are plenty of similar local printers who would use the same layout as well- school magazines, annual reports etc. It is possible that you may have a printer's name somewhere-usually at the bootom of the last page of each section,even oif a blank.

I note also that your pics. show creases along tthe middle of the pages- This is because the separate parts have been folded and sent by post at some time- with an old postal wrapper to get the (then) cheaper printed paper rates.

Hope that helps.

CR stands for College of the Resurrection, Mirfield

wiki background here but there are sites for the college

The Rev RH Sutch noted above was at the college before being ordained.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Thanks all. The House of Resurrection, Mirfield is mentioned on the handwritten page 396. In total there are 446 pages and it stops in December 1919. There is only one photo of William Herbert Freestone. Page 21 from 25th August 1914, In Ward No A there is a man who was shot by the Germans as he lay wounded. The Germans swept over our trenches and this man saw them bayonet several of his wounded comrades. Then they came to him. He shammed dead. One of them put his ear to his back to listen for his breathing and then they shot him in the leg with a pistol. He thinks it was an officer'. 29th June 1916 We are again on the threshold of great event and the effect is a curious dreamlike state. The Authorities won't let us chaplains go up at the beginning , but when they allow three of us are to go forward to the advanced dressing station. ....to minister aright to these wonderful but dreadfully ignorant lads in their hour of need ?

Makes good reading and some articles are over several pages

....which means that the "CR" on the spine stands for "Community of the Reurrection", which is based at Mirfield Monsatery

Missed Charie's reply- I really must learn to read.   It looks at though it is the quarterly newsletter of Mirfield.

Edited by Guest

Hello Trevor,

I have a BWM/VM and M/Plaque to a chap who may appear in your book, his name is: Reverend William Herbert Freestone, B.A., who was killed in Macedonia on 14th December, 1916.

He was educated at Nottingham High School and Keble College, Oxford before entering the College of the Resurrection at Mirfield.

Just seen your reply--Wow!! now how is that for a coincidence?

I wonder if there are any letters from him in the book?

Regards,  Robert

PS I believe that we may have been in touch previously through Neil in Southport?

I stand corrected this is indeed the Community of the Resurrection, Mirfield

The Rev'd Freestone has a very fine photo in the Yorkshire Rugby Union book and he also wrote a book: 'The Sacrament Reserved' which was published in 1917 after his death.

I have an original  copy of this book which I purchased in 2009.

He played rugby for the College and was one of only four playing members who were killed during the war.

Robert

I am pretty certain that this volume has been compiled from the 'Chronicle of the Community of the Resurrection' which was the college magazine.

Robert

Yes I speak to Neil on at least a weekly basis. He is doing well, children do online shopping for him as long as it has a bottle of whiskey in it, he's alright. This forum is truly a small world. Picture of W H Freestone and a letter and an obit contained in another letter on the way shortly 

E K Talbot, is Rev. Edward Keble Talbot MC, who was born in the warden's's lodgings at Keble College Oxford,  where his father was the first warden. He later became Superior of the Community of the Resurrection.