Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Robert Ashfield 29112 Royal Engineers Corps

CassieRae

Thread was 2/South Staffordshire  now Pte Robert Ashfield 29112 Royal Engineers Corps

This soldier was a Sapper and Driver. Am posting what I have on him, although some docs have appeared on this forum earlier - please delete if not needed.

Would really like to discover which Battalion he was in.  He died at home/hospital in 1921. Death registered in Abingdon.

ashfield-dependants-pens-sm.jpg

asfield-29112-R.E-medal-cd.jpg

Edited by CasseRae
added detail

• Admin

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Michelle but this does not help me get anywhere in discovering his battalion unfortunately. Decided to say 'Unfortunately we lack evidence for Robert Ashfield's time in the army as we cannot discover what Battalion he served in,  but we do know he and his Battalion was sent to France on 20th February 1915'. 

I have been trying everything I can think of all day and enough time is enough.

15 minutes ago, CasseRae said:

Thanks Michelle but this does not help me get anywhere in discovering his battalion unfortunately. Decided to say 'Unfortunately we lack evidence for Robert Ashfield's time in the army as we cannot discover what Battalion he served in,  but we do know he and his Battalion was sent to France on 20th February 1915'. 

I have been trying everything I can think of all day and enough time is enough.

It wouldn't be a battalion if he was RE, it would be a company.

Craig

8 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It wouldn't be a battalion if he was RE, it would be a company.

Craig

Thank you Craig, I shall note that. I have not come across this difference before, sorry.

There are two other men on the same page of the 1914-15 RE Rolls with a disembarkation date of 20/02/1915. 29072 (Henry J) Barrett and 29073 (Ashton) Newbury. Neither has a service or pension record or anything else that might identify a Unit. It is likely that these three were part of a draft that was sent to No 4 General Base Depot RE at Rouen and from there they would have been sent to whichever Unit needed reinforcements. 

Brian

• 2 weeks later...