Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt F.A.Lane KLR - Father says he was MID ?

davidbohl

2/Lt Frank Ashton Lane, King's Liverpool, originally #408 Royal Fusilier.

On his MIC his father George states that his son was mentioned in despatches.

Can this be confirmed please, the search in the LG does not seem to produce anything apart from his promotion.

many thanks

Dave

mic clip from ancestry

30850_A000926-00850.jpg.ffdaea168ee83e96d52aa5d608833f00.jpg

His father could have just got his facts wrong or wishful thinking. 

A "B" mention isn't gazetted if that's what he referred to

The reference you’ve posted tells us that Lane’s father submitted the claim for his son’s medals, and also referred to his son being MID’d. The Army Medal Office issued the medals but not the MID oak-leaf (there would be an annotation “Em” or “Emblem” on the MIC together with the date it was issued). I think it’s therefore a very safe bet that the father was mistaken, otherwise he’d have received the MID emblem.

2nd Lt. Lane is not listed in Michael Maton's "Honour Those Mentioned in The Great War - Mentions in Despatches 1914 - 1922" and I could not see him in the Naval & Military Press reprint book of the "B Lists Mentions". 

Edited by HarryBrook

Thanks all, a resounding no to that one.

CWGC says he trained at Peterhouse College, Cambridge, as Cadet.

Would he have been actually attending the College or just training ?

The wartime Cambridge OCB’s were at Trinity College and at Jesus College, so I’d say that he was an undergraduate at Peterhouse and was a member of their OTC.

Can I ask a dumb question?  What is a B List Mention?  I assume it is some sort of lower order of MID. Would it entitle the holder to the same MID emblem or something different or no visible distinction?

1 hour ago, Bordercollie said:

What is a B List Mention?  I assume it is some sort of lower order of MID. Would it entitle the holder to the same MID emblem or something different or no visible distinction?

Yes, that's broadly correct. A lesser distinction than an MID, and not published in the LG, but lists were issued for publication by The Times (and possibly other newspapers). I understood that they were largely (possibly exclusively?) in respect of valuable services in the UK. Recipients didn't receive an emblem of any kind. They started in early 1917 and I think were discontinued in 1919 or 20 (not 100% certain on that point). 

10 hours ago, headgardener said:

Yes, that's broadly correct. A lesser distinction than an MID, and not published in the LG, but lists were issued for publication by The Times (and possibly other newspapers). I understood that they were largely (possibly exclusively?) in respect of valuable services in the UK. Recipients didn't receive an emblem of any kind. They started in early 1917 and I think were discontinued in 1919 or 20 (not 100% certain on that point). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/08/2020 at 12:27, davidbohl said:

CWGC says he trained at Peterhouse College, Cambridge, as Cadet.

Would he have been actually attending the College or just training ?

He was just training. He would have been part of E Company, No, 2 OCB which was headquatered at Pembroke College.  E Company cadets were billeted in Peterhouse and Downing.

He appears in this souvenir journal, Graduating in Arms, in the nominal roll of No, 2 platoon on p. 71.  There's also a photo of the platoon.

1917 GRADUATING IN ARMS393.jpg

1917 GRADUATING IN ARMS DET394.jpg

DSC_0504.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

Edited by Charles Fair

A close up of the photoDSC_0475.JPG.819ac878121e486e963e8bffaddbfe08.JPG

He was also in the company rugby team and a violinist in the company concert troupe.

DSC_0501.JPG

DSC_0487.JPG

Here is the write up of the rugby team.  It refers to C Company's team being 13 or 15 of the battalion team. C Company were based in Emmanuel and happened to have a strong New Zealand contingent who provided 9 of the battalion team.

DSC_0498.JPG

DSC_0499.JPG

Thanks Charles, what a useful find.

Judging by his diminutive size he must have got crunched playing rugby.

dave