Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering Words in War Diary.

Kim Jones

Hello Kim, I think it’s just the plain RGA title.  Like several of the support corps the artillery branch shoulder titles comprised larger letters than those used by the infantry and cavalry.

19DAD2A8-7BB3-445D-B9D0-D2B565DA5EE8.jpeg

A7DC908F-4602-4093-9190-23749A9CFEF6.jpeg

Thank again Max and Frogsmile, whatever it is it looks small.

Can I ask what the buttons on the tunic would had been like, and was the lanyard white?

Kim :) 

On 14/08/2020 at 04:44, Kim Jones said:

Thank again Max and Frogsmile, whatever it is it looks small.

Can I ask what the buttons on the tunic would had been like, and was the lanyard white?

Kim :) 

Kim the serge SD jacket was issued with GS buttons on it and depending on their priorities and access to tailoring, etc. some units left them as they were, whilst others fitted the RA button that was embossed with a gun.

Lanyards were issued unbleached but when soldiers paraded in rear areas or wanted to look smart at home in Britain they would often whiten their lanyards with a paste formed from powder and water.  It wasn’t until peacetime in the 1920s that this was formalised and regimented in the RA universally, at the same time moving the lanyard to the opposite shoulder so that it was not easily soiled by a rifle carried at the slope.

A1853ADA-68DB-4190-9114-6C5EE8EBC577.jpeg

EA0DA0FD-B8EE-45E9-9E60-204A2E38AC5F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Frogsmile,

Is this the same for the RGA Heavy Batteries?  I like the top button :)  but i'm thinking by the shadows in the pic it's the bottom one. 

Kim.

2 hours ago, Kim Jones said:

Hi Frogsmile,

Is this the same for the RGA Heavy Batteries?  I like the top button :)  but i'm thinking by the shadows in the pic it's the bottom one. 

Kim.

Yes Kim, the button was for all branches of the RA, including the RGA.  However, the RHA tended to wear so-called ‘ball buttons’ from the design on their ‘dolman jackets’ (braided across chest) on other jackets, for which they weren’t always intended.  This was as a subtle way to distinguish their dress.

A1E30BB8-EAE3-4A82-8557-63EFE989DAD0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you so much for clarifying the dress code Frogsmile. I am now going to add another page in my document and describe what Grandad is wearing when he married Nan.

Much appreciate all the help on this site, it's so informative, I couldn't have done it without everyone's help.

Kim.