Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Dh9574

Helmet identification and restoration

Dh9574

Hi all, 

I am new to this forum to gain some more knowledge on a helmet I recently acquired. As you can see from the photos, it is structurally in great shape but the exterior paint is a site to be seen. I would like to restore it to bring it back to either its original condition or to a point where it is best preserved. So first off, am I correct in thinking that I should strip all of the exterior paint but keep the paint on the interior? Secondly, have I properly identified this as being a German m1917 helmet? From my rudametary knowledge of the interior markings as well as the shape, this is what I have gathered. Additionally, is there anything else you can tell me about this helmet? Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

-Daniel 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 3.33.50 PM.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 3.34.13 PM.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 3.34.23 PM.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 3.34.33 PM.png

Edited by Dh9574

Dh9574

Sorry for the low photo quality, the last photo shows the mark ET64 and in the center of the dome is the number 183

Chasemuseum

The green paint inside the shell appears to be original paint - this should give you a good indication of the colour and texture you need for the outside

Cheers

ross 

Torrey McLean

Hello, Daniel -  The only difference between standard German M-1916 and M-1917 helmets is the liner band - leather for M-1916 and metal for M-1917.  Since the band is missing from your helmet, it could have been either model.  Regards, Torrey