Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant Cecil Henry Moffatt

A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy

Today, Minden Day, it is fitting to remember 2nd Lieutenant Cecil Henry Moffatt of the 2/5th LF, who died on his 20th birthday, 1st August 1916, soon after his unit's arrival in the Somme area. He died, tragically, not in action, but as a result of one of his men accidentally discharging his weapon while cleaning it. He is buried at Le Neuville British Cemetery, Corbie, reference I.E.46. His brother, Stanley Lieslie Moffatt, also of the 2/5th LF, died 13 days later.

On 01/08/2020 at 21:53, museumtom said:

2 good Galway lads. Respect!

Hi Museumtom, do you have particular knowledge of these two young men, other than that they came from Galway, and what I have mentioned on my own post? I would be interested if so.

Lieutenant S L Moffatt, and Second Lieutenant C H Moffatt, both of the Lancashire Fusiliers, killed during the present month, were nephews of Mr Robert Moffatt, Bawnmore Road, and Textile Buildings, Belfast. Their father, Mr George Moffatt, of Westfield, Ellesmere Park, Eccles, is a director of the firm of Mitchell & Berry, Ltd., Old Change, London. Lieutenant S L Moffatt, the elder of the brothers, was killed in action on 13th inst., and Second Lieutenant C H Moffatt, the younger, was accidentally killed in the reserve trenches on his birthday, 1st inst., by the discharge of a rifle which a soldier was cleaning.

Private Leslie and Cecil Moffett, sons of Mrs Moffett, daughter of Mr George Black, contractor, Ahascragh, County Galway have obtained commission as second lieutenants in the East Lancashire Regiment, and are proud to proceed to the front at once.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Museumtom. RaySearching very kindly drew my attention to the Leicestershire Memorial project quoting local irish newspaper reports regarding the brothers in post 6 of the thread below:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/281198-accidental-shooting-of-an-officer/

Just one thing slightly puzzles me - in post 32 on the above thread one of the MIC's suggests the Manchester Regiment, but you say the East Lancashire Regiment. Is the MIC entry incorrect? Have you actually seen the records in the NA relating to either man?

I don't say it, it is from a snippet in a west of Ireland newspaper. I have seen no records for these men.

Thanks Museumtom, I would guess that the MIC is probably correct then.