Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Minden Day' during WW1

headgardener

I see there's a bit of chat about today being Minden Day, which reminded me of the attached image dating from 1915. I hope it might be of interest..... 

Untitled-1small.jpg

Edited by headgardener

My grandfather, Norman Hall, had quite a lot to say about Minden Day in his diary, being a Lancashire Fusilier (5th Battalion).

My very first post on this Forum related to the loss of his friend, Cecil Moffat, on Minden Day 1916 https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/281198-accidental-shooting-of-an-officer/?tab=comments#comment-2883381 though I see that I didn't say in the post that the death happened on Minden Day. My grandfather records:

Just as they carried him off to the next collecting station Major Milnes arrived with our Minden Roses, and Cecil was very pleased to take one along with him. Poor fellow.

Also, the Airedale Terrier in another of my early posts https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/282303-afb-252-airedale-terrier-leaving-his-post-without-permission”/ , which my grandfather refers to as the Regimental pet, was named John Minden after the Regiment's special day.

In the end Minden Day was my grandfather's own downfall, or maybe it was lucky for him, depending on how you look at it. He had a riding accident on 29 July 1918, when on his way to collect beer for the men's Minden Day celebrations, which put him out of action for the rest of the War. But who knows - would he have survived those last 3 or 4 months of the war if he had remained on the Western Front? - he must have been close to using up his "nine lives" by that point.

The Battle of 100 days, although a series of victories for the BEF was at a terrible cost in casualties. Particularly officer casualties.