Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Dennis Preece - 6th Worcestershire Regt

PyroraptorOlympius1945

My great great grandfather Leonard Dennis Preece of the 6th Worcesters arrived in France on July 20th 1916 and was wounded in action on August 24th. He suffered a shrapnel wound to the thigh which completely shattered his femur; he sought refuge in a shell hole and was spotted by private Arthur Langford, who very gallantly carried my grandfather to a nearby dugout. Arthur was KIA 2 weeks later. My grandfather recovered from his wounds and lived a long life, passing away in 1982. He now lies in his home town of Pershore, where I visit him often.

FB_IMG_1593614052720.jpg

In case you do not have a photo of Langford here is one from the Worcester Journal:-

Langford 27869.jpg

Temp_Langford.jpg

Edited by Promenade

Arthur John Langford was killed on 9/10/16 some several weeks after 24/8. Both men served with 3rd Battalion from the records. On the 24/8/16 the 3rd were part of the successful attack at the Leipzig Salient. This is described in the regimental history. The salient is near to the village of Authuille very near to Thiepval. 
https://pershoreww1.webs.com/i-l

shows another pic of Arthur and prints In Evesham journal report following his death that refers to the incident where he aids Leonard. This refers to the Prussian Guard which is mentioned in the regimental history. Again supporting that the men were with 3rd not the 6th. The 6th were a reserve battalion and never left the UK.

I was born a few doors down from Arthur’s Residence pre-WW1 in Pershore. Within a few hundred yards of where Leonard lived. Your post was thus of interest.

10 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Arthur John Langford was killed on 9/10/16 some several weeks after 24/8. Both men served with 3rd Battalion from the records. On the 24/8/16 the 3rd were part of the successful attack at the Leipzig Salient. This is described in the regimental history. The salient is near to the village of Authuille very near to Thiepval. 
https://pershoreww1.webs.com/i-l

shows another pic of Arthur and prints In Evesham journal report following his death that refers to the incident where he aids Leonard. This refers to the Prussian Guard which is mentioned in the regimental history. Again supporting that the men were with 3rd not the 6th. The 6th were a reserve battalion and never left the UK.

I was born a few doors down from Arthur’s Residence pre-WW1 in Pershore. Within a few hundred yards of where Leonard lived. Your post was thus of interest.

Very interesting indeed! I have seen the photo of Arthur you have attached and I have shared his gallant story with a lot of people.

Although I am somewhaf confused about them both being in the third Worcesters. My Grandad Len states in his diary that he was with the 6th Worcesters and that is where I got my information from. Perhaps Grandad Len was attached to them for a while prior to his service in the 3rd btn. I could send you the diary if need be.  Thank you very much for this comment. 

15 hours ago, Promenade said:

In case you do not have a photo of Langford here is one from the Worcester Journal:-

Langford 27869.jpg

Temp_Langford.jpg

Thank you very much - this photograph is lovely! Newspaper article also makes for an interesting read; I have a copy strikingly similar to this one but it goes into more detail about Grandad Len and doesn't mention that Arthur has a child. 

I suspect at some point he was with 6th. Even though badly injured he may have been posted to 6th from an admin point of view. But a guess