Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bat. Scottish Rifles

Guest Steve Erwin

Guest Steve Erwin

My Grandfather was in the 2nd Bat. Scottish Rifles from 1914 -18. I have all of his medals but, not his service record. He was a P.O.W. in Germany and was wounded and captured. His Silver Medal number is 391622. His other medals have the numbers 200791 with A.CPL. J. Callender SCO. RIF. His first name was John. He also had a watch chain with a little Ivory Elephant hanging from it. I would love to know where in France he was shot and captured and what the Elephant means. I also have his enlistment picture along with a picture of his group in front of a school.

Thank you.

Steve Erwin

Yucca Valley, Ca. USA

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Steve

There are two things to do here (both difficult from where you are so you may need to enlist help).

1. Try to find his service papers. The oddes are against you here but if they stillexsit they may well give vital details. Go to www.1914-1918.net and click on "Grandads War" to tell you more about service papers.

2. Go to the Battalion war diary. Guessing a date range will reduce the laborious effort of going through the whole diary. Some units recorded wounded/prisoners by name, but most did not. But a combination of a date and mention of men being lost this way might give you an indication. Again "Grandads War" will give you some hints and context.

His regimental number looks at first glance as though he may not have been in too early. Any Scottish Rifles experts out there who could guess his enlistment date from his number?

Steve - finding a service record, if one survives, is obviously your best bet, - but having said that I'd be extremely surprised if your grandfather served the whole period 1914-18 with 2nd Scottish Rifles, with a six digit 200 - - - series service number. A first overseas date mid to late 1917 is far more likely, possibly even very early 1918.

When you say you have "all" his medals what exactly do you mean ? If you do have a 1914 or 1914-15 Trio numbered 200 - - - then you do have something of a mystery on your hands. Also, the "silver medal" which you refer to may be causing some confusion - do mean a Silver War Badge ? ("For King And Empire - Services Rendered").

If you cannot locate a service record, or some other proof of capture date, then you could probably do worse than plump for 2nd Sco Rif's actions during the last week of March 1918, the German offensive on the Somme. Regards - Tom