Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Debbie Pickerill

Historical Archives

Debbie Pickerill

I was doing some research concerning the Bute Mountain Battery in Scotland and came across some information you provided to @David Porter back in 2017.  You were looking for information concerning your grandfather.  Unfortunately I do not have information about him but I do have a "Record" journal from one of the boys who served in Gallipoli and Egypt as well.  I am trying to find out more information with that military group so I can get this historical account to their archives if they would be interested.  The person who wrote the account of the WWI was named Archie Tunnock.  He captured this information to pass along to his son, Scott Tunnock.  Archie and or his son ended up in Denver Colorado and the book was passed along to my mother who was only a friend.  It has been with our family, who has nothing to do with Archie, Scott or the Scottish Bute Mountain Military.  We kept it after my mother passes in 1998 and just recently came across it again.  I decided to research Archie and try to pass this beautiful piece of history on to someone who would appreciate it.  Do you have any idea who would want this for their history archives.

Thanks for your time and if you have a moment or any information that might be helpful I would certainly appreciate you letting me know.

Debbie

Michelle Young

Welcome to the forum Debbie. I've removed your email address from your post, it's never a good idea to put personal information on a public forum, spammers can harvest your email address. I've also tagged David Porter in your post.

Michelle 

David Porter
Posted (edited)

Not exactly sure why I'm tagged here. However, I did respond to some people in 2017 in this thread.

Looks like we are dealing with 300067 Gunner Archie Tunnock RGA 

Edited by David Porter
Additional Information

Michelle Young

Yes you are correct David, it was Dave McIntyre,  who hasn't visited the forum in a couple of years. After Debbie reposnds to this, she can try sending a PM to Dave 

Michelle 

keithmroberts

Failing that it might be worth contacting the IWM. Despite disposing of a lot of apparently duplicated material, I would expect them to be interested in personal material, or possibly the Liddle Collection  at the Leeds University Library.

Keith

voltaire60
44 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Failing that it might be worth contacting the IWM. Despite disposing of a lot of apparently duplicated material, I would expect them to be interested in personal material, or possibly the Liddle Collection  at the Leeds University Library.

Keith

A further possibility is a Scottish archive, such as the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. Both Liddle and IWM are suggestions fine enough, though both institutions have had their "problems" in recent years. I suggest  Scotland,not from any "Braveheart" stance against the English but because Scottish-related material is more likely to be used  in Scotland. I suspect that Tunnock's book would also be of interest to a fair few other Caledonian families whose forebears served  with the Bute Mountain Battery.

Debbie Pickerill

Thanks for the responses.  Pardon my ignorance but what is IWM that is mentioned in the message from Keith.  I will certainly check with the Liddle collection at the Leeds University.

Regards,

Debbie

Michelle Young

Imperial War Museum. 

Moonraker
Posted (edited)

The Imperial War Museum in Lambeth, South London

Offer material to the collection.

Michelle beat me to it by 30 seconds, but I did provide extra value.

Edited by Moonraker

Debbie Pickerill

Thanks for all the information everyone

Yes it was Gunner Archie Tunnock as noted in his memoirs 

Checking out all of your suggestions.  This is such an incredible account of his wartime memories.  Pictures, notes, medal notations, etc.  It should be preserved by someone.  

Debbie

Debbie Pickerill

Thanks for all the information everyone

Yes it was Gunner Archie Tunnock as noted in his memoirs 

Checking out all of your suggestions.  This is such an incredible account of his wartime memories.  Pictures, notes, medal notations, etc.  It should be preserved by someone.  

Debbie

Archie1.jpg

Archie2.jpg

Archie3.jpg

Archie4.jpg

Debbie Pickerill

This is only a few of the pages, all in all about 170 pages to his journal.