Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a cap badge and uniform

Russ Platt

8 hours ago, headgardener said:

The Coldstreamer and the RDF man are almost certainly 2 separate people. The CG man had a QSA Medal and limited service, the RDF man had no medals and long continuous service.

I agree that Tom Pearce and the man in the photo appear to be two individuals. We have also found the third man - the uncle from Alice’s story (served In the eastern Med and died there) Jesse Gubbins.

So who is the chap in the photo if he is not Tom Pearce? Did he even die in service?

Is the suggestion still?:-

At this stage, I think it’s best to consider every male in that section of your fam8ly tree who meets the age criteria that we set out previously (born between about 1878 and 1884, I think?) and start working forwards to see which ones were still alive by about 1914 and whether any of them could have an MIC or a surviving service record linking them to the RDF, or any link to Winterbourne Monkton. 

Pearce, Harper and probably best that I look at Platt as well? Does the FOLD3 Chelsea database only contain those servicemen that were discharged through illness/injury.

Russ

Edited by Russ Platt

Hi Russ and all,

From previous experience of searching for soldiers it sometimes pays off to search  for other relations as different branches of the family often have details others don't know about, So....

Have been searching Mary Ann(e) Harper, Louisa Emily's mother. We know from the 1881 census that Mary Ann was married to Rowland Bartlett and the 3 children living with them were listed as "in laws" of the Head of the house. As previously posted that was a common term used for step children.

We know that when Ellen was baptised in 1875 her mother was listed as a "single woman" and when Louisa was married to Frederick Pearce she didn't know her deceased father's Christian name.

Edward T Harper was born in Walworth, London in 1866, the question arises as to when and why had his mother gone to London and where was she staying and with whom.

Emily Harper b.1871 is 2 months old on the census living with Henry Norman and his wife Harriet (surname transcribed by Ancestry as Brown!) Emily is shown under the relationship column as "Infant". The 1881 census for Henry Norman and his wife Harriet shows them at Sutton Lane, Sutton Benger,Cricklade with EMILY NORMAN aged 12 yrs  Henry's "Niece".

She has gained 2 yrs and now known by his surname. I accept that Louisa E(Emily) Harper is shown on the other 1881 census but it wouldn't be the first time someone has been included at a different address. Interestingly at the Sutton Lane address is also a 3 yrs old boy , William Compton shown as a "Boarder" born Foxham, Wilts.

???? Why was Emily's name changed, was she "adopted" by the Norman family and were they in the process of adopting a son? They had been married on 29th July 1857 and did not have any children of their own. Henry died in 1887.

We have been unable to find Mary Ann(e) Harper b.1845 Wootton Bassett on the 1871 census however... there is a "pauper, female, unmarried" listed as "MAH" aged 28 yrs at the Fisherton House Lunatic Asylum, Fisherton Anger, Alderbury, Wiltshire. Could this be her and the reason why the Norman family were looking after Emily Harper when she was just 2 months old ? Mary Ann's father William died on 24.2.1864 @ Wootton Bassett. Family tree here ..https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/54611847/person/13688912539/facts

Where did Mary Ann's son (Tomas Edward Harper) go to between 1881 and 1911 when he is living with Frederick Pearce and his wife Emily Louisa,  Tomas Edward's sister?

Still looking for clues....

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Barry

As before sorry for the delayed response.

Great work on this. It reads like the weepy bit in WDYTYA...

What you have certainly fits with what we know and might explain why dad was mixed on which Tom he was looking at.

Not sure if you have made amy further progress but I will explore this lead too.

Best

Russ

• 10 months later...

Late to the party as usual :-(

Someone mentioned that Swindon was good at keeping records of the fallen, not in my experience they weren't, The local paper (the Evening Advertiser) was also lousy at getting the details correct.

There are many names missing from the towns ROH (pictured earlier), so don't take it as gospel.

The GWR, again was pretty bad at having the correct details, often getting fore names back to front and again there are many men missing from the GWR ROH (the photo earlier was a workshop tribute (many are on show at STEAM museum and in the OUTLET shopping mall in Swindon, both on the site of the old GWR works) and not the GWR one.

I have a Jesse GUBBINS on my list, born in Eynsham, Oxon 1878, he lived at 26 Pembroke St, Swindon, married to an Edith PEARCE in Marlborough in 1905, 9699 OX and Bucks, died 1918 in Salonika aged 40, worked as a Grinder in the GWR works (starting in 1905)

Any information on either Jesse of any other Swindon connected men appreciated

Grant

28 minutes ago, grantowi said:

I have a Jesse GUBBINS on my list

I would recommend starting a new post for this man, seeing he has ho direct link to the subject of the original post here.

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I would recommend starting a new post for this man, seeing he has ho direct link to the subject of the original post here.

The OP mentions GUBBINS on this thread 1st Aug 2020, this is why it is posted here

I have also tried to send a PM to OP

13 minutes ago, grantowi said:

The OP mentions GUBBINS on this thread 1st Aug 2020, this is why it is posted here

I have also tried to send a PM to OP

You're right.
Towards the bottom of page 3 of a 5 page thread.
My advice still stands.

28 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

You're right.
Towards the bottom of page 3 of a 5 page thread.
My advice still stands.

It is here in the hope that the OP will return and see it, If I start a new thread there is the chance that they will miss it.

It is more of an information post than an asking for post, I might get some more personal family stuff from the OP

• Admin

Your best bet is to send a PM  to 

@Russ Platt as he hasn’t visited the forum since last August 

Hi guys

Sorry for the inaction. Just saw an email with this - they had been going to “clutter”. 

The information on Jesse looks to fit. My grandmother’s maiden name was Pearce and the fellow that I was looking for died in the eastern mediterranean.

Re-capping I think we got to the point where the story told to me around 1970 almost certainly relates to Jesse Gubbins ex. GWR who died and is buried in Salonika/Thessalonika. Not sure that we have fully established who the fellow in the photograph is though....  

Russ

Edited by Russ Platt