Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a cap badge and uniform

Russ Platt

Hi

I am trying to trace my great great uncle.

I attach a copy of a photograph of Tom or Thomas PEARCE. I remember my grandmother giving me this photograph 50 years ago. I think that he was her uncle and that he had served in Turkey and died of wounds or possibly the flu on the return journey towards the end of the war - possibly in Greece. All this is rather hazy and other than the village of his birth I do not have any other information. I would love to trace him and his memorial.

Tom was from Wiltshire and most of the rest of the family lived in Swindon and worked for the GWR.

I have looked through various catalogues of cap badges. The nearest match that I have found is that of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I suppose this is possible but perhaps unlikely.

All help much appreciated.

Russ

A8C6BAEE-8599-412F-A5BF-F9D590952204.jpeg

C898C4C3-F79B-4069-A885-F286ECA7796D.jpeg

Edited by Russ Platt
Omission and correction

• Admin

Looks like RDF to me as well. Lots of Wiltshire men ended up in the 10th Irish Division.What was his full name? 

25 minutes ago, Russ Platt said:

I am trying to trace my great uncle.

I attach a copy of a photograph of Tom or Thomas. I remember my grandmother giving me this photograph 50 years ago. I think that he was her uncle and that he had served in Turkey and died of wounds or possibly the flu on the return journey towards the end of the war - possibly in Greece. All this is rather hazy and other than the village of his birth I do not have any other information.

Hi,

A surname and any other family related information - like the village of birth - would be a big help. Looks like he has three overseas service chevrons on his left forearm.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi

As Peter has posted, 3 chevrons indicate 12 years service. Any name of any relative is a starter.

Regards Barry

• Admin

The chevrons are good conduct stripes , or has the photo been reversed and in fact they are overseas chevrons which should be right wrist? 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The chevrons are good conduct stripes , or has the photo been reversed and in fact they are overseas chevrons which should be right wrist? 

No , the photo is not reversed.The left side of his jacket overlaps the right side correctly as mens' jackets should.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

19 minutes ago, PRC said:

Hi,

A surname and any other family related information - like the village of birth - would be a big help. Looks like he has three overseas service chevrons on his left forearm.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter

I managed to delete his surname when I was editing........

His surname was Pearce - my grandmother’s maiden name. He was born in Winterbourne Monkton near Avebury in Wiltshire.

Russ

27 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

As Peter has posted, 3 chevrons indicate 12 years service. Any name of any relative is a starter.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry

His surname was Pearce.

Thanks

Russ

3 minutes ago, Russ Platt said:

Any name of any relative is a starter.

And your grandmother's name was...?

And siblings please.

Alice Pearce (later Platt). I have traced a lot of her family - all on Ancestry but have not linked him to the tree. 

Ok.

There are only 4 RDF deaths in the Great War for anyone called Pearce.

No Toms.

One R. Pearce in Turkey, but that was 1915.

His age or date of birth, also Alice's so we can locate her in the censuses.

Hi Russ

If you can make this a bit easier.....is your tree a public tree on Ancestry? If it is it will save us a lot of time.

Regards Barry

I do not have anything else for Thomas. The only clues we have to his age are his appearance in the photo and now the 12 years service.

Alice was born 16th May 1898. Alice Maud Mary Pearce. He father Frederick Pearce 1871.

2 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Russ

If you can make this a bit easier.....is your tree a public tree on Ancestry? If it is it will save us a lot of time.

Regards Barry

I'm guessing it's this lady:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/29091546/person/12133698709/facts

Russ.

What Barry said.

You need to sort the genealogy out first before trying to fit in the military history.

Hi Russ and all

I thought I had the right tree same as Dai. 1911 census there is a Tomas Edward Harper lodging with the Pearce family at 27 Union St., Swindon.....looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Barry

That is my tree.

Harper is a family name - Alice’s mother’s maiden name. I have our soldier as Tom Pearce in my Dad’s handwriting on the back of the photograph. Perhaps in error though.... Is there a Tomas Harper associated with the RDF?

However, we do know that our chap was a solider from 1906 even if the photo was as late as 1918. Tomas Harper is listed as a farm labourer. Unless our chap re-enlisted and the stripes showed total rather than continuous service?

The only male Pearce born to mother maiden name Harper between 1890 & 1903 was Edward Frederick in 1899 .

Was Tom her brother, a half brother?

Thanks Dai

My memory is that he was Alice’s uncle rather than brother. However this was a one-time conversation with my grandmother 50 years ago when I was seven.......

She gave me the photo. Dad must have found it years later and added the name and village.

1 hour ago, Russ Platt said:

I am trying to trace my great uncle

Your great uncle would be your grandmother's brother.

So are you saying he might be your great great uncle?

12 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Russ

There is a Thomas William Harper RDF d.8.8.1917 40480...looking

Regards Barry

What about this one ?