Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

A statement on the above vessels Wiki page states the possibility that she might have served in a different role - possibly at Lemnos/Mudros, or the Dardanelles -  apart from the one she fulfilled after June 1916.

Would anyone have any details of her service before, or indeed after, she became a repair/depot ship?  Thanks in advance.

Peter.

A former Yacht, renamed HMS Valhalla was fitted out as a Repair ship & Mobile Workshop for Motor Launches at Portsmouth July 1916.

On 1 Sept 1916 she became an independent command. 

17 Feb 1917 renamed Valhalla II & was tender to HMS Osiris II from Apl 1918 at Mudros, then tender to HMS Europa, Densheros Cove Dec 1918. to March 1919. Then went to Cowes 3 Aug 1919.

Hope this assist you somewhat,

Best....Bryan

In August 1915 she was laid up in the Medina River (Cowes) and had yet to be hired for government service. GH Marvin was still the registered owner.

12 hours ago, RNCVR said:

A former Yacht, renamed HMS Valhalla was fitted out as a Repair ship & Mobile Workshop for Motor Launches at Portsmouth July 1916.

On 1 Sept 1916 she became an independent command. 

17 Feb 1917 renamed Valhalla II & was tender to HMS Osiris II from Apl 1918 at Mudros, then tender to HMS Europa, Densheros Cove Dec 1918. to March 1919. Then went to Cowes 3 Aug 1919.

Hope this assist you somewhat,

Best....Bryan

Thank you Bryan. 

I don't suppose you would have anything on her from Sep 1916 would you?   Would 'Independent Command' indicate that she would have a log book?   And if not, Valhalla being a 'Hulk', and therefore needing the assistance of a Tug for her positioning, I suppose there's little hope of discovering her actual movements around Mudros Harbour?   I can't find any mention of her in Europa's log up to December 1916.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Valhalla II was more than a hulk, she was an auxiliary steam yacht i.e. fitted with boilers and a steam engine in addition to three square rigged masts. She wouldn’t have needed assistance from a tug and the vessel was far larger than one might expect for something described as a ‘yacht’. May not have arrived Mudros prior to December 1916 but once there she remained moored-up as a depot ship. What she got up to after completion of her refitting in Portsmouth remains unclear for time being (possibly supporting armed trawlers out of Malta, prior to doing similar work at Mudros) however Capt. Roland Nugent RNR (former Rear Admiral RN, and later promoted Vice Admiral whilst on retired list) was her Commanding Officer at the time. Sold to French owners after the war and operated as a cargo ship, sunk during a storm in 1921.

Edited by KizmeRD
Added comment regarding Malta.
9 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

Valhalla II was more than a hulk, she was an auxiliary steam yacht i.e. fitted with boilers and a steam engine in addition to three square rigged masts. She wouldn’t have needed assistance from a tug and the vessel was far larger than one might expect for something described as a ‘yacht’. May not have arrived Mudros prior to December 1916 but once there she remained moored-up as a depot ship. What she got up to after completion of her refitting in Portsmouth (as an independent command) remains unclear for time being, however Capt. Roland Nugent RNR (former Rear Admiral RN, and later promoted Vice Admiral whilst on retired list) was her Commanding Officer. Sold to French owners after the war and operated as a cargo ship, sunk during a storm in 1921.

Thank you KizmeRD. 

Regarding Valhalla II's layout, prior to your above post I was in receipt of this very information from MerchantOldSalt, so your reply is additional confirmation of her state during this period.

I have just ordered her Captain's Service Record (his name was actually Rowland Nugent) from TNA, so hopefully that might hold some more info as to Valhalla's movements.

Rowland Nugent - a true seagoing Captain...

HMS Algerine (in command) 1902

HMS Gladiator (in command) 1905

HMS Flora (in command) 1907

HMS Magestic (in command) 1910

HMS Illustrious (in command) 1910

HMS Albermarle (in command) 1912

HMS Lord Nelson (in command) 1913

HMS Victorious (in command) 1914

Senior Naval Officer Altbea (Loch Ewe) 1915

Appointed Rear Admiral on ‘retirement’ from the Royal Navy 1.6.16 and became a Captain RNR next day.

HMS Valhalla II (in command) 29.7.16 to 30.4.17

HMS Iolanda 1917 

Appointed Vice-Admiral (rtd list) 1920