Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The weekly war magazines

green_acorn

Not being entirely familiar with the British graphic magazine market of the early 20th Century, can any Pal educate this antipodean on the titles? I find magazines like the Illustrated War News an excellent resource for images, and given the articles and caption the context of the time. 

Cheers,

Chris

There are various publications out there. Oddly enough, just yesterday, I that thumbing through some of my own books, which include copies of Hammerton's World War 14-18, A Pictured History, which I can recommend. I think it was in the first volume that I turned up a truly superb artists sketch of a dismounted soldier giving his horse some sort of Christmas treat from his haversack; the artwork of many of the sketch artists of the time was exceptional and I think often overlooked.

Hammerton as an editor was prolific in his work, and there is his course the collosal work of 'The War Illustrated, the complete record of.....' Then you have the equally massive work by H.W. Wilson; 'The Great War, the Standard History of....'

A personal favourite is again overseen by Hammerton: 'I Was There!' Others to consider are such as The War Budget and the Penny War Weekly, but there are more besides.

You have to keep in mind that most of these were published at the time with the intention of letting the country know what was going on but more so to keep moral and indirectly recruitment up. Heavy censorship meant that it was soon extremely hard to get to 'the front', let alone report on or even photograph once you got there. Because of this, much of these works tend to be dismissed as little more than jingoistic propaganda. If it is read with this in mind it tends to help. They are all nevertheless, publications of their time and well worth tracking down.

David 

17 minutes ago, Maureene said:

Some are available online and are linked from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page  First World War, section Historical books online/History series and periodical publications

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/First_World_War#History_series_and_periodical_publications

Cheers

Maureen

A great link Maureen.

David

8 hours ago, green_acorn said:

Not being entirely familiar with the British graphic magazine market of the early 20th Century, can any Pal educate this antipodean on the titles? I find magazines like the Illustrated War News an excellent resource for images, and given the articles and caption the context of the time. 

Cheers,

Chris

One of the most famous was ‘The War Illustrated’ magazine and published in London by William Berry (later Viscount Camrose and owner of The Daily Telegraph). It was first released on 22 August 1914, eighteen days after the United Kingdom declared war on Germany, and regular issues continued throughout the war. The magazine ceased publication after the 8 February 1919 issue.  I had the entire series, which had been bound in book form donated to me by my grandfather.  I can recall that it was full of artwork images that emanated fierce action and dramatic circumstances, in addition to photographs.

B115C447-DD05-4CD1-AB51-18AD3B2E5EE9.jpeg

26BE6B8F-E089-4D93-A630-FD482E215AF1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, GRANVILLE said:

"... You have to keep in mind that most of these were published at the time with the intention of letting the country know what was going on but more so to keep moral and indirectly recruitment up. Heavy censorship meant that it was soon extremely hard to get to 'the front', let alone report on or even photograph once you got there. Because of this, much of these works tend to be dismissed as little more than jingoistic propaganda. If it is read with this in mind it tends to help. They are all nevertheless, publications of their time and well worth tracking down.

David 

David,

Exactly. Though we reevaluate and reinterpret history all the time as new evidence becomes available and to the standards of our own period, we often find that "our" understanding may be based quicksand because of the issues you describe. Magazines like these put the events in the popular context of the time, and therefore are still useful.

Cheers,

Chris

50 minutes ago, green_acorn said:

David,

Exactly. Though we reevaluate and reinterpret history all the time as new evidence becomes available and to the standards of our own period, we often find that "our" understanding may be based quicksand because of the issues you describe. Magazines like these put the events in the popular context of the time, and therefore are still useful.

Cheers,

Chris

There are multiple sets of standards used to evaluate WW1and not just one. How would you distinguish between standards based on 'quicksand' and those standing on firmer foundations?

Here is another example - this issue dated Oct 31, 1914.  

Best....Bryan

ebay items.aug 010.JPG

ebay items.aug 012.JPG

ebay items.aug 013.JPG

Another magazine...same date..

Navy&Army.Oct 1914.cover.JPG

armynavymag 011.JPG

armynavymag 013.JPG

I have some of the The War Illustrated magazines if anyone is interested in obtaining them. Just PM me.

4 hours ago, Hedley Malloch said:

There are multiple sets of standards used to evaluate WW1and not just one. How would you distinguish between standards based on 'quicksand' and those standing on firmer foundations?

Very briefly and not conclusively. Access to as broad a range of primary, and secondary, sources as possible. How close to the event was the source material written, the records of the opponent, etcetera. Rather than the "quicksand" of  something written from one perspective a long time after the event, based on memory, or primarily so.

1 hour ago, green_acorn said:

Very briefly and not conclusively. Access to as broad a range of primary, and secondary, sources as possible. How close to the event was the source material written, the records of the opponent, etcetera. Rather than the "quicksand" of  something written from one perspective a long time after the event, based on memory, or primarily so.

OK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2020 at 12:37, RNCVR said:

Here is another example - this issue dated Oct 31, 1914.  

Best....Bryan

ebay items.aug 010.JPG

ebay items.aug 012.JPG

ebay items.aug 013.JPG

Hi Bryan, 

What are the dimensions and page count of these please?

I'm looking to acquire and digitise similar for a library. 

Thanks, 

Dave

Edited by depaor01
Name

2 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Hi Bryan, 

What are the dimensions and page count of these please?

I'm looking to acquire and digitise similar for a library. 

Thanks, 

Dave

Hello Dave,

Illustrated London News are both large & heavy!

11 1\2 x 16 inches, 16 pages.

I only have 3 early in War issues & they are for sale as Iam selling my collection, but post to UK ex Canada would be very expensive for magazines this large.

Best.....Bryan

Illustrated London News is available on the pay websites British Newspaper Archive, and on Findmypast, but from the description only if you have a personal subscription.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/titles/illustrated-london-news

Some Libraries also may have access through a Library subscription website from Gale Primary Sources/ Gale Historical Newspapers

https://www.gale.com/intl/c/illustrated-london-news-historical-archive.

Depending on the Library you may even be able to access the database on your home computer.

Cheers

Maureen

9 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Hello Dave,

Illustrated London News are both large & heavy!

11 1\2 x 16 inches, 16 pages.

I only have 3 early in War issues & they are for sale as Iam selling my collection, but post to UK ex Canada would be very expensive for magazines this large.

Best.....Bryan

Thanks for that Bryan. 

Dave

Edited by depaor01

8 hours ago, Maureene said:

Illustrated London News is available on the pay websites British Newspaper Archive, and on Findmypast, but from the description only if you have a personal subscription.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/titles/illustrated-london-news

Some Libraries also may have access through a Library subscription website from Gale Primary Sources/ Gale Historical Newspapers

https://www.gale.com/intl/c/illustrated-london-news-historical-archive.

Depending on the Library you may even be able to access the database on your home computer.

Cheers

Maureen

Wow. I had no idea the full run was online. Our library subscribes to Gale for some newspapers but not the ILN.

The sample pages look great.

Thanks Maureen, 

Dave

Flight Magazine was first published in 1909 and I have a small hoard of them covering the WW1 period. It reported Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force deaths and much more about the aircraft of the time. I see that there is/was a website that had the early issues on line but the site is undergoing maintenance.

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Flight Magazine was first published in 1909 and I have a small hoard of them covering the WW1 period. It reported Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force deaths and much more about the aircraft of the time. I see that there is/was a website that had the early issues on line but the site is undergoing maintenance.

Was one of my go to sites, but as far as I can remember that part of the Flight website has been down since before Christmas, pending a relaunch.

I believe the same company put out another publication "The Aeroplane". There are some sample issues online like this one heralding the dawn of the RAF in April 1918, unfortunately transcribed by software so on a par with the British Newspaper Archive and The London Gazette.

https://archive.org/stream/aeroplan141918lond/aeroplan141918lond_djvu.txt

There was a website from the owners of the Illustrated London News which also included contemporary copies of sister publications like The Tatler. Thet site were adding copies on a weekly basis 100 years after the original publication as part of the centenial commemoration, but ran out of steam early in 2015. Now the website just gives you a blank screen.

https://www.illustratedfirstworldwar.com/

Even gossip magazine like The Tatler provided a potential mine of information and photographs - who was getting engaged to who with a picture becomes more relevant when said officer didn't live long enough to marry, while officer VC winners who were single and in London to receive their medal seemed to be on the invite list for every party. There was also a sporting title, I think it was Sporting Life, that had pictures of jockeys, boxers, cricketers and footballers, etc, who had volunteered or had been mobilised.

There are however summaries available of the contents of each edition of the Illustrated London News and the odd illustrated page here https://www.iln.org.uk/

Hope some of that helps,

Peter

1 hour ago, PRC said:

If you click on this link, and then click on "See other formats", you get

https://archive.org/details/aeroplan141918lond/page/n5/mode/2up

which is easier to read.

There is a collection of Flight Magazine on Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/Flight_International_Magazine?sort=titleSorter

The issues available appear to be either complete, or near complete for the WW1 period as they  include

1919 52 issues

1918 52

1917 52

1916 54

1915 52

1914 52

Cheers

Maureen