Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in translation of items and ID data plate

Robert Rytir

Hi 

all can any body translate both the data plate and wooden tag . Also what period would the data plate be from?? and what type of motor ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mercedes Flugmotor No. 35512 Zyl. Zahl 6

...............                                                                                                                                   Motor: richtig eingestellt wenn:
...............                                                                                                                 Pfeilmarken am Gehäuse → ← u. Propellernabe oder Keil;
..............                                                                                                                           .Vertikale Steuerwelle → ← u. Gehäuse;
..............                                                                                                         .u. an den oberen Steuerrrädern → ← einander gegenüberweisen;
.............                                                                                                                     ..Am Zündapparat: Verteilerscheibe abheben (?)
...............                                                                                                    rotes Radloch auf roten Punkt ← → Radstrich auf (?)undgehäusestrich

Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft
Stuttgart-Untertürkheim

Rob 

DSCN7737.JPG

plate.jpg

Mercedes Aero engine No. 35512. 6 Cylinder

The engine is correctly adjusted when:

Arrow on housing - - propeller hub or wedge(?)

Vertical shaft - - Housing

and the - - on the upper two timing gears

Line up 

Ignition - lift distributor plate - when

red hole in the gear - - red spot 

and the line on the gear with the line on the ignition housing line up

The aircraft is displayed for photographic purposes, the horizontal braces, bottom front, in the observers seat are easily removable.

edit - possibly a Mercedes DIII engine

Edited by charlie2

Thank you for the translation . The wooden piece I was told was to do with aerial photography ? 

Cheers Rob 

6 minutes ago, Robert Rytir said:

The wooden piece I was told was to do with aerial photography ? 

Rob,

Sorry no, it only says that it has been set up to enable the (Daimler) photographic department to take photos of it.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

8 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Rob,

Sorry no, it only says that it has been set up to enable the (Daimler) photographic department to take photos of it.

Charlie

Thanks again Charlie , so would this sign be used during the war ? or is this some thing later? also you say Daimler photo dept ? can you expand on that.

Cheers mate 

Sorry Rob I don‘t know where I got Daimler from, only the the engine was made by Daimler. The sign would have been mounted by which ever Aircraft manufacturer used the engine. It sounds to me as though the photos were used for marketing.

Charlie

Thanks again for your help . So we are talking WW1 period sign? 

Thanks Rob