Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile Marine sailor James Rowland

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from Sherwood Forest.

I am a little out of my league with this query. I am trying to find any information on Mercantile Marine sailor James Rowland .

He was born in BIRKENHEAD Cheshire in 1869-70 .I have his medal card which says Certif .or Dis .A.  880227 and RS2 No. 327550.

The top of the card is marked DECEASED. His medals were issued in August 1919.

He was married to Mary Leslie Rowland and his address on the 1911 census is given as 54 Lowther St Birkenhead .His occupation

is down as  Seaman, Merchant Service.

My interest is that a man of the same name from Birkenhead and born at the same time who gave his occupation as Seaman joined

the Sherwood Foresters in India in 1888 and served with them until 1901 . I think it may be the same person.

Anyway if any of you good folk can help I would be most grateful.

Old Robin Hood

On 29/07/2020 at 14:43, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

His medals were issued in August 1919.

The medal card is a good start as it has given you the Dis A and RS2 numbers. If you can get hold of his CR10 record that might be helpful in two ways. It may have the address of his next of kin and it may also show distinguishing marks. According to his attestation papers for the Derbyshire Regiment he had several tattoos. I had a quick look at the National Archives but could not see a CR10 record. However you may be able to get something from the Southampton Archives https://www.southampton.gov.uk/arts-heritage/southampton-archives/index-merchant-seamen.aspx

Good Luck

Greetings from Sherwood Forest

Hi Tom

Very many thanks for the advice . I will follow up on it.

Robin