Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Order of wear question

williywonker

Could anyone please advise me of the correct order of wear for a group to a nurse with the following medals:

BWM; VM; ELIZABETH II CORONATION; FRANCE CROIX DE GUERRE; FRENCH RED CROSS SBM MEDAL; FRENCH MEDAL EPIDEMIES AND SCOTTISH WOMEN'S HOSPITAL MEDAL

Many thanks

Mal

Edited by williywonker
Grammar

Hi Mal

As far as I know the first three you list are correct. Then any foreign awards, in the order they were received, ie if they are gazetted then in order of the gazettes. The Scottish Women's Hospital medal is a commemorative one and theoretically should not be worn with the others but on the right breast, but this was really only if you were still serving. After discharge, the old establishment would have jumped on people wearing commemoratives.

Could you give me the name and details of the recipient to cross check with my database. If the awards are not gazetted could you possibly give me the authority to wear. All of this info goes on my database.

Also could you scan the Scottish Women's Hospital medal for me as I have not seen one before.

Sounds like a really great group of medals.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for responding to my question. The name of the recipient is Gertrude Haberstich Lindsay, who served with the SWH from 1st March 1915 until the 21st February 1919, firstly at Royaumont, and then as Matron of the SWH advanced clearing hospital at Villers Cotterets between July 1917 until its evacuation in March 1918 as a result of the German Spring Offensive, following which she returned to Royaumont as Matron. According to the SWH history, BJN and local press, she received her Croix de Guerre in 1918 for 'skill and devotion shown by her to wounded French and Allied soldiers at Villers-Cotterets and Royaumont under repeated aerial bombardments'. The Medaillies d'honneur des Epidemies is named to her and is with its named box of issue. The French SBM Red Cross Medal is unnamed. The Scottish Women's Hospital medal is also unnamed but with it is the card of issue from the SWH. I have not yet found the details of her 1953 Coronation Medal

Mal.

Lindsay.jpg

Edited by williywonker

Hi Mal

Thanks for the photo and info.

The Medaillies d'honneur des Epidemies is listed under File: FO 372/1193 Treaty: Miscellaneous 1918.

I have what I think is a fairly complete roll for 1953 Coro and she is not listed under Lindsay. Do you know if she married???

Peter

Either way I'd not change a mounted as worn group unless falling apart  . A very nice group

While the C deG and the Epidemies are both official foreign awards, the SWH medal and the SBM medal are both "organisation" awards and should be worn last, if at all.  I record Gertrude Lindsay as a nurse serving at Royaumont fro,m 3.1915 to 21.2.1919. 

Norman 

Thank you very much for your replies. The medals are unmounted, having originally been housed separately in a display case. Miss Lindsay remained unmarried, so the presence of the 1953 Coronation has yet to be confirmed. Norman, do you know if the SWH tartan ribbon is still available for purchase, as this one is badly frayed?

Mal.

Malcolm

Sadly no.  I think it was produced as a one-off to accompany the medal.  It must have been a very complicated weave.  All the ones I have seen, including mine, are in the same fraayed condition. 

Norman 

• 3 weeks later...

For the avoidance of doubt, foreign medals are worn in order gazetted but by order, decoration and medals.  So a recipient of the Legion d’honneur in 1918, the Croix de Guerre from 1915 and the Order of St Maurice and St Lazarus from 1917 would wear them in the order St. M & L, Legion and Croix de Guerre after all UK medals in their correct OOW?