Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marmora - Submarine Commander's D.S.O. etc

michaeldr

Michael,

What interested me was the actions of Heimburg and his men from UB 14.

"a U-Boat Captain witnessed the churning waters, rowed out from the shore with a handful of bombs, and calmly dropped them over the side to good effect"

Others show

The German Submarine UB-14 was in port of Chanak to await repairs. While there on 4 September, word came that E7 was entangled in Ottoman antisubmarine nets off Nagara Point, which the Ottoman battleship Turgut Reis had laid.

The U-boat′s commander, Oberleutnant zur See Heino von Heimburg, and UB-14's cook, a man by the name of Herzig, set out in a rowboat to observe the Ottoman attempts to destroy E7. After several mines that formed part of the net had been detonated to no avail,[Note 1] von Heimburg and his group rowed out and repeatedly dropped a plumb line until it contacted metal. Then, von Heimburg dropped an Ottoman sinker mine with a shortened fuse right on top of E7.[3] After the hand-dropped mine detonated too close for the British submarine's captain's comfort, he ordered his boat surfaced, abandoned, and scuttled. Between shellfire from the Ottoman shore batteries and E7′s scuttling charges, von Heimburg and company narrowly escaped harm.[4] While most sources credit E7′s sinking to the Ottoman efforts, author Robert Stern contends that von Heimburg and UB-14 deserve partial credit for the demise of E7."

I tried to find the Germans in this action but other then Heimburg, who was a Submarine killer, does not mention his actions against E 7?

Heimburg Heino von     ObLtzS to Kapt-Lt Marine     Commander UB 14 (KUK U 26) Pola Flotilla 3-15 to 12-15 & UB 15 (KUK U 11) 6-15 to 6-15 to UB 14 Constantinople Flotilla 2-16 to 6-16 (replaced Dewitz) to UC 22 Pola/Mittelmeer II Flotilla 1916-17 & UB 68 Pola/Mittelmeer I Flotilla 1917-18 & U 35 Pola Flotilla 1918  U boat    1915-18    (1889 at Hanover died Oct 1945) Pour le Mérite 19 ships sunk with a total of 44,167 GRT + 4 warships sunk (British submarine E20 & French submarine "Ariane" & Italian submarine Medusa & Italian cruiser "Amalfi") with a total of 11,502 tons awarded House Order of Hohenzollern and Ottoman Gold Liakat Medal with Swords 2-1-16 and Silver Medal Imtiaz with Scimitars and Ottoman War Medal later WWII KonderAdmiral to Vize Admiral Kriegsmarine a judge at the Reichskriegsgericht Retied 1943 selected to sit on the People's court, a Nazi special court PoW 3-45 died in PoW camp at Stalingrad 

As to Herzig, I have not found him as yet or the other men involved in this action?

Any ideas

S.B