Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help identify my helmets paint please, original or not?

helpidentifymystuffpls

I want to know if this is actually worth something and if the camo paint is original repainted, or just generally painted on. the paint does look sort of layered liek it could be repainted, but i am unsure, i am new on this topic and quite ignorant. basically tell me if this is legit, thanks.

WIN_20200728_19_06_40_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200728_19_06_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200728_19_06_57_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200728_19_07_05_Pro.jpg

s-l140 (1).jpg

Hello - welcome to the forum,

Others with more knowledge of patterns/colours etc may comment but my immediate reaction is it is going to be virtually impossible to give a sense of originality with that quality of picture.

The tiny lower one is better but even that is....well tiny.

Well lit (natural light), not super bright sunlight but reasonably diffuse light will give the best chance - even so such judgements are going to be best guesses without the article in hand.

I wouldn't want to venture an opinion based on these photos but I will say the colours and degree of damage etc look about right.

Better pics would really help.

Chris

We need also to see the inside of the helmet to stand a chance of forming any opinion,

David

will do, i have no way to take quality photos at this as i am unaware of the whereabouts of my phone so ive been taking pictures with my laptop, unless you can see what you need to see on the inside without a high quality image. I can tell you that it has no liner, broken strap, rusted inside, and the stamp reads ZF51. But im more concerned as to the paint jobs authenticity. I will try to get better photos soon.

Edited by helpidentifymystuffpls
adding more info

I'll stick my neck out and suggest that what you have there is an American made M1917 helmet (hard riveted bales for chin strap). I think the paint work will be period.

David 

3 hours ago, GRANVILLE said:

I'll stick my neck out and suggest that what you have there is an American made M1917 helmet (hard riveted bales for chin strap). I think the paint work will be period.

David 

2 hours ago, aef1917 said:

Yup, American m1917 and the paint looks OK to me.

While I don't have the expertise of the above two - I agree. (subject to all the caveats of just looking at photos) I would be happy with that as original.

Chris

1 minute ago, helpidentifymystuffpls said:

Thank you for your confirmation. Could i get a price on this helmet? 

That is going to depend where you are and how you are seeking to sell etc etc

Best bet for a ballpark would be to do a search of eBay or some such - not looking at ASKING prices but looking at COMPLETED SALES to see what things actually change hands for.

Chris

I did that earlier. ~$300-$400 sound about right?

Im not looking to sell by the way, just wanted to how good my deal was in comparison to the selling price for these helmets