Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Subadar Maj Muhammad Din 130th Baluchis (K.G.O) later 5th Battalion 10th Baluchis. + Family

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to this forum and this is my first time posting. 

My father's side of the family had many officers serving in the British Indian Army. My Grandfather's Grandfather (Dad's dad's dad's dad), was Honorary Capt. and Subadar Major Muhammad Din Sardar Bahadur O.B.I and Croix de Guerre. He had served as the lead native officer for the 130th Kings George's Own Baluch Regiment (aka Jacob's Rifle) which later become the 5th Battalion of the 10th Baluch Regiment between the period of 1st January 1921 to 1925/26 (not sure exactly when he retired, but I didn't see his name on the Indian Army List for Jan 1926). Before that he served with the regiment from 1895: in Mekran (1898) , China (1900), Somaliland (1908-1910) , East Africa and the Eygptian Expeditionary (WW1), Balochistan and Zhob (1919) and Wazirstan (1921). He was promoted to Jemadar (1909), then Subadar (1914), then Subadar-Major (1921). 

The reason that I'm writing here is that I'm trying to get a hold of a Photo of him.

I've had some luck with other members of his family.

His Step-Uncle: Hon. Captain and Risaldar-Major Nizamuddin Khan of Probyn Horse (who's photo I found at the Royal Trust)

His Step- Cousin: Hon. Captain and Risaldar Major Abdul Karim Khan of the Governor General Body Guard (also at Royal Trust)

another Step-Cousin: Hon. Captain and Risaldar Major Ali Muhammad Khan of Gardner's Horse (also at the royal trust plus pinterest for other photos)

But with him and his own family I haven't had any luck. I think his father Imamuddin Khan served as Subadar of the18th Bengal Infantry while a younger Uncle (Amiruddin Khan) was a Risaldar of the Old Poonah Horse (4th Bombay Cavalry).

Anyway I would be really grateful if anyone could help me with Muhammad Din, especially as he officered a "Kings Own Regiment" I was hoping that I could find a photo for him.

Thanks 

FergusCrane 

There is an Indian Army Memorial Room that contains a collection of artefacts, including paintings and I think photos at the Royal Military College Sandhurst.  See: https://www.easterneye.biz/sandhurst-unveils-revamped-indian-army-memorial-room/

The historical military collection can be contacted through their web portal here: https://sandhurstcollection.co.uk

Edited by FROGSMILE