Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Marilyne

Rosa "Roosje" Vecht

Marilyne

Good Morning all,

a friend of mine sent me a picture yesterday, of a plaque commemorating the only DUTCH nurse who died during the Great War… as I haven't found any reference to her on the forum, I thought I'd share her story.

Rosa (Roosje for friends) Vecht was born in 1881 to Jewish parents and enrolled at the Jewish hospital in Rotterdam for nurse training, earning her licence in 1907.

When the war broke out in 1914, she decided to join the Belgian Red Cross. Rumours are her leaving her homecountry was due to a broken heart, as she immersed herself in work at the British field hospital in Veurne. In January 1915, Veurne came under increasing enemy shell fire and on the 23rd January, a shell hit the hospital. Roosje was severely hit in the legs. She was brought to l'Océan hospital but died of blood loss the same day. She was initially buried in Adinkerke Cemetery (Belgian military cemetery) but in 1920, her remains were moved to the Jewish cemetery in Muiderberg.

the picture immediately had qot bells ringing in my head… about having read something about it… Veurne… British hospital… Dorothie Fielding!!

And yes, here it is… Dorothie does not give any names, but the "Dutch" gives it away, when she writes to her mother on Jan 27th: "One of the little nurses, a Dutch girl, at our hospital was wounded and I am sorry to say died of the shock of her leg being amputated - poor little soul - it's very tragic"

The Sydney Morning Herald on 21st May 1915 also brings the story of Roosje: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15580956?fbclid=IwAR1MvWbY2ypGqZ-_agZ6EIgm4l99Eoj4pgTd3COv7SfCt-J9bPFJBHhKxWY

1192458718_roosjeVecht.jpg.05f2b720a44698e4bb80077bbc4600b9.jpg

Have a nice week all!!

M.

Jim Strawbridge
1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Veurne came under increasing enemy shell fire and on the 23rd January, a shell hit the hospital. Roosje was severely hit in the legs.

It could be construed from the comment above that Roosje was injured in the hospital when the hospital was bombed. I have a note gleaned from somewhere that Roosji had been informed that the hospital was being moved because of the German shelling and it was whilst crossing the town square to her rooms to get her personal effects that a shell exploded causing the injury to her legs. She was rushed to the Belgian l'Ocean hospital at de Panne where she subsequently died. My information, could, of course, have been poorly and inaccurately passed on to me.

Kath

Thanks to FindMyPast:

image.png.419f6ca1c9d812eb8efbc6f513bcb453.png

Reading Mercury 13 March 1915

FROGSMILE

A sad and poignant story that brings home the element of chance in all wars, even when miles behind the firing line.  Thank you for posting it Marilyne (and all contributors).

Marilyne
1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

It could be construed from the comment above that Roosje was injured in the hospital when the hospital was bombed. I have a note gleaned from somewhere that Roosji had been informed that the hospital was being moved because of the German shelling and it was whilst crossing the town square to her rooms to get her personal effects that a shell exploded causing the injury to her legs. She was rushed to the Belgian l'Ocean hospital at de Panne where she subsequently died. My information, could, of course, have been poorly and inaccurately passed on to me.

You're probably right… I only just started to look for information about her .

Thanks for the update!

M.

RNCVR

A very interesting & tragic story, thanks for posting Marilyne.

Best Wishes,

Bryan

Fattyowls

I would echo the above comments; fascinating.

Pete,