Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Staff?

REME245

The atached photogragh is labeled in a local history book as showing Hospital Orderlies at Trowbridge Barracks.   Does anyone recognize this style of uniform?   One soldier is wearing a Volunteers Efficency Diamond on his servicedress jacket.

Hospital.jpg

Cooks whites with the collar folded back to form a rever.  They’re also wearing shoes, canvas, PT.  Their dress seems contrived as if for an opening ceremony or theatrical production (note the mocked up ‘cannon’ at front).  I’m fairly sure they’re not medical orderlies.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There’s something about this photo that makes me think of the Olympics. Maybe it was a locally organised ‘Olympic-themed’ event (a sports day, or pageant) to coincide with the cancelled 1916 Olympics which were supposed to have been held in Berlin. Maybe arranged by the staff and patients (which may presumably have included some colonial servicemen) at the hospital?

Does the Volunteer efficiency badge date it to WW1? I’m assuming we’re talking VTC rather than pre-1908 VF.

Edited by headgardener

Yes it does look like a VTC lozenge and I agree with what you postulated.  Several of the men in white have a shield shaped cloth badge pinned to their jackets that are reminiscent of those used by athletics and sports associations.