Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Melrose Medal Card

GJW

Hi all,

I would appreciate any help on this. I am trying to trace a George Melrose and came across this. Any idea on how to decipher this please?

Thanks,

Gerard

image.png.9eba577c616ac35c24bdc0954c075ee9.png

Looks like a Silver War Badge Card raised to track an application for a badge received from a Honorary Lieutenant G. Melrose of the Territorial Force Reserve, who would probably have been Home Service only. You have an administrative file number for the application, (long since destroyed), a contact address, and something that looks to have happened on the 17th September 1918 but I couldn't at first make the word out. But the first letter seems to be the same capital "E" as "End" in the address, the second letter is comparable to the lower case "l" in Finchley and so I began to wonder if it might be a garbled spelling of "Eligible"

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

Cheers,

Peter

I read the address as '26 Clifton Rd ?????? East Finchley'. The word in the middle is possibly church though it doesn't seem to fit well. Is/was there a church on Clifton Rd? Does/did Clifton Rd in East Finchley exist?

Simon

Cheers Peter. 

Simon. You maybe quite correct as it is not showing up on google maps for me.

Cheers,

Gerard

15 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I read the address as '26 Clifton Rd ?????? East Finchley'. The word in the middle is possibly church though it doesn't seem to fit well. Is/was there a church on Clifton Rd? Does/did Clifton Rd in East Finchley exist?

Simon

I'm reading it as 26 Clifton Road, Church End, Finchley.

Courtesy of Google Street maps here I believe is 26 Clifton Road, Finchley in May 2019, (house to the left is 24, house to the right is 28, other side of the road are the odd-numbered houses)

673511510_26CliftonRoadFinchley.png.512c25608b3e40a4e7583a9f66f30773.png

and Wikipedia tells me part of Finchley is known as Church End.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_End,_Finchley

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

The occupants of this address on the 1911 Census of England & Wales was a John and Emily Ward. This was the first census return completed by a member of the household and there was a declaration that it had been completed to the best of their knowledge and belief. I draw your attention to the address given in that declaration box :)

1054451746_26CliftonRoadChurchEndFinchley1911CensusReturnsourcedGenesReunited.jpg.40bbeee6212454d7fdd7c6e04f776fe4.jpg

(Source Genes-Re-united)

Cheers,

Peter

There's Charles Gordon Melrose at the address in 1918, electoral rolls.

Then probably same man at 30 Hendon Park Row in 1921.

TEW

If the card is for CG Melrose there's some background for him HERE, not an easy site to navigate. Another normal but quite busy MIC for him under CG Melrose, Royal Scots. Card says dis 20/8/1918. Address in Aldeburgh

Same man as in OP?

TEW

7 hours ago, TEW said:

not an easy site to navigate

Apologies, there's over half a million words and wordpress rather objects, I try to direct people to the .pdf's as a slightly more readable version https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

Ah! I was on my phone and the formatting had gone all over the shop.

I tried the pdf but Adobe would not open it once downloaded. Could be my particular android/Adobe versions.

I should have checked as while reading the site sometime around 1am I had a feeling your surname looked familiar.

Is the G. Melrose in the OP one and the same as CGM? Seems likely if they both are 26 Clifton Rd.

Apologies for the comment.

TEW

I agree it seems likely, same initial/surname at same address. He was certainly TF, the Hon makes me think he had a quartermaster role back in the UK, but after discharge I am not sure when in Finchley and when in Aldeburgh.

(Apology not required, even on a large monitor the Wordpress is hard to follow, I was slightly surprised it accepted tables with thousands of lines at all with just a 'paste').

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

I am starting to think this is not my man.  I was hoping it was more this guy? I have an old local record source that said he joined the RGA. 

Ancestry info.jpg