Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

pete-c

I am hoping that a more knowledgeable Forum member will be able to identify the cap badge my Grandfather's best pal is wearing.  Thanks in advance.

Peter.

0001.jpg

28 minutes ago, headgardener said:

That’s a particularly nice shot of a 10th London (Hackney Rifles) cap badge!

I suppose that makes sense headgardener - my Grandfather (a Sapper in the Royal Engineers) lived in Bethnal Green.  Many thanks. 

22 minutes ago, pete-c said:

I suppose that makes sense headgardener - my Grandfather (a Sapper in the Royal Engineers) lived in Bethnal Green.  Many thanks. 

They had not been in existence very long.  The slot as 10th London Regiment had originally been held by the Paddington Rifles, but they had a low social status and struggled to recruit officers in particular (one can imagine the jokes at their expense).  This eventually spilled over into low numbers of volunteer soldiers as well, so in the end they were disbanded and the Hackney Rifles were raised in their place.

52D9534A-773A-4BA1-B48B-B2484949B42A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

They had not been in existence very long.  The slot as 10th London Regiment had originally been held by the Paddington Rifles, but they had a low social status and struggled to recruit officers in particular (one can imagine the jokes at their expense).  This eventually spilled over into low numbers of volunteer soldiers as well, so in the end they were disbanded and the Hackney Rifles were raised in their place.

52D9534A-773A-4BA1-B48B-B2484949B42A.jpeg

Thank you FROGSMILE - most informative.

The lad in the photo is wearing the "Low Tide" version of the cap badge. Also, digging up an old chestnut that's been around for years, the 10th Londons were never a "Rifles" outfit after their 1912 rebirth.  Pete.

9 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The lad in the photo is wearing the "Low Tide" version of the cap badge. Also, digging up an old chestnut that's been around for years, the 10th Londons were never a "Rifles" outfit after their 1912 rebirth.  Pete.

Yes, you’re quite right Pete.  They were associated with the Royal Berkshire Regiment (which was odd for a London unit), and the OP ought to be made aware of that.  Low tide badge below.

6488D43A-F050-4838-BA1B-1AA26EA69860.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

What is the central device of the badge? I live in Hackney and have done for ove4 20 years, but I don’t recognise it. Is it supposed to be the old church tower behind the old Hackney town hall? (Latterly a branch of William Hill....)

26 minutes ago, headgardener said:

What is the central device of the badge? I live in Hackney and have done for ove4 20 years, but I don’t recognise it. Is it supposed to be the old church tower behind the old Hackney town hall? (Latterly a branch of William Hill....)

Seemingly it relates to the White Tower and the “Tower Division”, the parish of Hackney being within.  See: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Tower_division

Afternote:   Apparently the device depicts the old church tower on Mare St...?

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 minutes ago, headgardener said:

Saint Augustine's Tower. It is all that remains of the old 16th Century parish church.  Pete.

43 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Also, digging up an old chestnut that's been around for years, the 10th Londons were never a "Rifles" outfit after their 1912 rebirth.

So does that mean no black ‘Rifles’ buttons on their tunics?

11 minutes ago, headgardener said:

It seems not: 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/215924-10th-london-regiment-in-gallipoli/

2FC217C4-EC22-4C32-8FC9-83079D27B15C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, pete-c said:

I am hoping that a more knowledgeable Forum member will be able to identify the cap badge my Grandfather's best pal is wearing.  Thanks in advance.

Peter.

0001.jpg

Nice picture of the Gaberdine Soft Cap in use.

16 minutes ago, headgardener said:

It should do.  Pete.

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, you’re quite right Pete.  They were associated with the Royal Berkshire Regiment (which was odd for a London unit), and the OP ought to be made aware of that.  Low tide badge below.

6488D43A-F050-4838-BA1B-1AA26EA69860.jpeg

Thank you Pete and FROGSMILE.

The Berkshire link is interesting.  This lad (George Webb) was born c.1890 and, according to the 1901 Census, his family lived in Sunninghill, Berkshire!  I don't have details of his family's whereabouts in 1911, but I wouldn't mind betting that by that time they were resident somewhere in the Bethnal Green area - where my Grandfather's family lived.

As I stated in my original post, George was my Grandfather's best pal, and they remained friends into peace-time.  Unfortunately, following my Grandfather's death in 1966 my family lost touch with the Webbs.

Many thanks to all for these informative details.

A full size image of George Webb, circa.16.10.18. 

001.jpg

16 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Not until much later; post-GW. In the 1914 Army List, the Adjutant was from the Rifle Brigade. The regiment became the (from memory) 5th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment quite late on. I believe it was discussed on the Forum during a rather long and tedious (and fruitless, and fractious) thread about the 'Hackney Gurkhas'. IIRC, the 10th London needed to find a new home and the Royal Berkshires were looking for an extra TA Battalion.  If I could be bothered I would search the Forum, but I can't so I will leave it to others. It might even have been a late as the 1930's.

13 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Not until much later; post-GW. In the 1914 Army List, the Adjutant was from the Rifle Brigade. The regiment became the (from memory) 5th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment quite late on. I believe it was discussed on the Forum during a rather long and tedious (and fruitless, and fractious) thread about the 'Hackney Gurkhas'. IIRC, the 10th London needed to find a new home and the Royal Berkshires were looking for an extra TA Battalion.  If I could be bothered I would search the Forum, but I can't so I will leave it to others. It might even have been a late as the 1930's.

Yes, I do recall that Steven and did not mean to give the impression that it was a WW1 era thing so thank you for pointing it out.  My intent really was just to emphasise Pete’s (CP) comment about the tenuous association with Rifles as a unit culture.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, pete-c said:

A full size image of George Webb, circa.16.10.18. 

Thank you for posting the photo, it’s a fine quality one. 

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I do recall that Steven and did not mean to give the impression that it was a WW1 era thing so thank you for pointing it out.  My intent really was just to emphasise Pete’s (CP) comment about the tenuous association with Rifles as a unit culture.

I do hope no-one feel the need to resuscitate the Hackney Gurkhas canard.

40 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I do hope no-one feel the need to resuscitate the Hackney Gurkhas canard.

Good grief, no! Although the Berks connection was quite interesting to learn, and there was some other useful info in the thread, it really wasn't worth the attendant pain.

[A full size image of George Webb, circa.16.10.18.] 

That is one beautiful clear sharp RPPC - wish they were all like that!!

Thanks for posting!

Bryan

• 2 months later...