Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform identification

Tina

we have come across old family  photographs and are trying to find out what this uniform was from. We think ww1  British Infantry-Tropical 1914- 1918 but could be way off .

Pic was enhanced on a website 

Any help would be fantastic 

PhotoCollage_20200725_202604575.jpg

He's a warrant officer (see the badges of rank on his sleeves) in the British army (not necessarily infantry though), he's wearing tropical kit, and has 2 medal ribbons on his chest. Hard to tell, but they look like ribbons for an India General Service Medal and 'something else' - possibly a 1914-15 star. The photo looks about right for late WW1 or shortly after. 

Do you know anything about the man in the photo? 

Edited by headgardener

Sadly no regimental insignia whatsoever on view.  Going by his relative youth I should think the photo is post 1915 [when WO class two was introduced] and so he’s probably a WOII CSM/SSM/BSM.  The buttons look like they might be completely plain rather than GS, but it’s impossible to be positive.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Has he had a knee injury or perhaps just the shading? 

10 hours ago, headgardener said:

He's a warrant officer (see the badges of rank on his sleeves) in the British army (not necessarily infantry though), he's wearing tropical kit, and has 2 medal ribbons on his chest. Hard to tell, but they look like ribbons for an India General Service Medal and 'something else' - possibly a 1914-15 star. The photo looks about right for late WW1 or shortly after. 

Do you know anything about the man in the photo? 

All we know is he was a great great uncle . I will be trying to find out more when I see my dad next week . Thank you so much for your reply its fantastic 👍

9 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Has he had a knee injury or perhaps just the shading? 

Not as far as we know. I'm trying to research more but difficult when my mum  who would have know more is no longer with us . 

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Sadly no insignia whatsoever on view.  Going by his relative youth I should think the photo is post 1915 and so he’s probably a WOII CSM/SSM/BSM.  The buttons look like they might be completely plain rather than GS, but it’s impossible to be positive.

Thankyou for your reply 👍

43 minutes ago, Tina said:

All we know is he was a great great uncle . I will be trying to find out more when I see my dad next week . Thank you so much for your reply its fantastic 👍

Anything you can find (likely surname, initials, where he may have been from, details of any medals or documents your family may have) might help to identify him. 

His knee looks fine to me, btw! 

Thank you for your reply . I'm seeing my dad tomorrow and he's got all the old photos and such  from my mums side of the family so I will be having a good root around to do some detective work 

13 hours ago, Tina said:

Not as far as we know. I'm trying to research more but difficult when my mum  who would have know more is no longer with us . 

Ok just looked like it was a different shape to the other with a double scar/ mark either side.  Like I said perhaps the shading.  One ear looks like rugby players also and the other appears to be shorter, again could be shading or position. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

2 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Ok just looked like it was a different shape to the other with a double scar/ mark either side.  Like I said perhaps the shading

Yes , there does seem to be a scar  and a slight deformity on the medial (inner) aspect of his right knee, or at least some assymmetry compared to the left knee.

So when the name is found maybe there might be wounds recorded.  I thought it looked like something passed through his knee.  

On 26/07/2020 at 10:15, headgardener said:

Anything you can find (likely surname, initials, where he may have been from, details of any medals or documents your family may have) might help to identify him. 

His knee looks fine to me, btw! 

On the hunt still . All we have is a note written on the back of the photograph at the moment . Says Calcutta July 1918 

20200727_123142.jpg

3 hours ago, headgardener said:

So..... the next step is to establish who exactly was ‘Amy’...!?

If you know your grandparents names maybe you can look Them all up, great grandparents from there and then Their siblings, maybe cousins.  I found my great great aunt just by going back and checking all names so you just might hit the jackpot.  So Jim and Amy’s parents where are they down the line from your great grandparents and on whose side? 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

This is what I will be looking into . We know its on my mum's dads side of the family and I know his parents names so I'm going to go back from there and see if they pop up along the line . Shouldn't be too far back as he was only a great great uncle to me