Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary 32nd Base Park Company RE?

HolymoleyRE

Dear GWF Pals, 

Does such a war diary exist in TNA, or on Ancestry? 

Can find ones for other Base Parks but not the 32nd? 

Regards 

Andy 

Have a good look through the listing of Royal Engineers war diaries held by their museum at Chatham- RE seems to have been quite efficient at garnering them.

Have a good look through the listing of Royal Engineers war diaries held by their museum at Chatham- RE seems to have been quite efficient at garnering them.

Cheers couldn't spot it when I looked, will re check. 

Andy 

Neither could I-but it does seem a strong and through holding- was your unit part of a larger one? If so, I would take a bet that will be there. A trip to Chatham seems the only big downside of the exercise-but coming from Plymouth I might have a tiny bias against other RN ports!

32 Base Park Company RE seems to have spent virtually all of the war on the Lines of Communication in France. There are War Diaries for 1 and 24 Base Park Companies, both in file WO95/4057, and it is possible that these may contain references to 32. I think that they can be downloaded (currently free) from TNA's website but I don't think that they are on Ancestry.

Ron

Andy

There is not a war diary for them. I can say though, they were based at Havre in the docks with a detachment at Soquenie. Along with 24 BP at Rouen, they served the Southern armies.

TR

A few years ago when I was looking for a WD for N0 4 GBD RE Ron advised me that LOC troops could be found in WO 95/4185 to 4193. I had a look on Discovery but could not find 32 BP. I went through WO 95/4185 at Kew but the WD for 4 GBD in 4185/1 only covered 1914. I checked other Rouen LOC Units in WO 95/4043 to 4046. There is a Commander RE in 4045 but this was Director of Works. My list of RE Units records that 1, 24 and 32 Base Park Cos were part of 29th GHQ Troops Co RE (fly LOC Co Re) but I could not find anything for 29 GHQ Troops Co on Discovery either. I am not sure where the Base Companies were situated. Most likely near Rouen or Havre.

Brian

Brian

See my post above. They were a unit in their own right, not part of 29 Coy I’m afraid. 32 BP like  BPs appear in the History of the Works Directorate, a copy of which I have.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Try here for 29 Company:

WO 95/124 29 Advanced Park Company Royal Engineers 1914 Sept. - 1916 Dec.  
WO 95/125 29 Advanced Park Company Royal Engineers 1917 Jan. - 1919 May  

Ron

Terry

The RE list I referred to was posted some years ago by a Forum Member and I managed to copy it. I wrongly assumed that the Base Park Cos (and the others shown) were part of 29 GHQ Troops Co RE.

Brian

002.JPG

Neither could I-but it does seem a strong and through holding- was your unit part of a larger one? If so, I would take a bet that will be there. A trip to Chatham seems the only big downside of the exercise-but coming from Plymouth I might have a tiny bias against other RN ports!

Cheers, I will see if my contacts at the Museum cam help. 

Andy 

8 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Most likely near Rouen or Havre.

Thanks for taking the time, I believe they were based at Havre. 

14 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Thanks for taking the time, I believe they were based at Havre. 

See my post no 6.

TR