Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ww1 Turkish fuse / round

Pirate

Live ammunition is not discussed on this forum. Call the Ordnance Disposal or your local police.

23 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Live ammunition is not discussed on this forum. Call the Ordnance Disposal or your local police.

It's not live. It's been fired. Look at the band. And it's empty inside.

The Ottoman inscription on the fuse definitely identifies this round as being for the Turkish 75mm field artillery guns which were mostly made by Krupp. 

Cheers,  SS

8 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

The Ottoman inscription on the fuse definitely identifies this round as being for the Turkish 75mm field artillery guns which were mostly made by Krupp. 

Cheers,  SS

Wow a 75mm. Thank you.   Krupp.  That's German. Does that mean it should  have a German shell case or a Turkish case?. With it. Just looked on internet. 75mm case's came in different heights. What would be the correct size for this 1.

Cheers dave

In case you are unaware, your projectile is a "shrapnel shell".  It was loaded with a large quantity of spherical lead balls of about 11,4 mm diameter and a small black gunpowder charge to act on a steel disc throwing the fuse off and expelling the balls from the shell.

image.png.61cb43ea4a47e643aef80d7107b545ce.png   image.png.dde523ecdd6d1929df8ae92e0bce38a5.png       

A Turkish shrapnel ball a friend found when visiting the battle fields at Gallipoli several years ago.

12 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

In case you are unaware, your projectile is a "shrapnel shell".  It was loaded with a large quantity of spherical lead balls of about 11,4 mm diameter and a small black gunpowder charge to act on a steel disc throwing the fuse off and expelling the balls from the shell.

image.png.61cb43ea4a47e643aef80d7107b545ce.png   image.png.dde523ecdd6d1929df8ae92e0bce38a5.png       

A Turkish shrapnel ball a friend found when visiting the battle fields at Gallipoli several years ago.

Hi I don't know anything about my item. So to be told it's a Turkish  75mm and now it's a shrapnel shell is fantastic news. Just need to find the Wright case. Obviously it will be a 75mm  but not sure of the height of it. Pluss if the case would a German or Turkish case. 

Dave 

The cases were made in both Germany and Turkey, but in either case they have Turkish markings.  The various models of Krupp 75mm commercial gun were purchased by many countries but as far as I am aware all used common ammunition, so it is potentially feasible that ammunition components made in Germany for other countries and not delivered, or captured ammunition was also delivered by Germany to Turkey during the war.  Although there are about 3 minor variations of the Turkish 75mm field gun, they were also provided guns manufactured for South American contract prior to the war and not delivered as well as captured Rumanian guns - all using the same ammunition.

I have only handled a small number of Turkish 75mm shell cases and all had Turkish markings.

17 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

The cases were made in both Germany and Turkey, but in either case they have Turkish markings.  The various models of Krupp 75mm commercial gun were purchased by many countries but as far as I am aware all used common ammunition, so it is potentially feasible that ammunition components made in Germany for other countries and not delivered, or captured ammunition was also delivered by Germany to Turkey during the war.  Although there are about 3 minor variations of the Turkish 75mm field gun, they were also provided guns manufactured for South American contract prior to the war and not delivered as well as captured Rumanian guns - all using the same ammunition.

I have only handled a small number of Turkish 75mm shell cases and all had Turkish markings.

Thank you for your help.  I'll keep looking for a case. 

On 25/07/2020 at 19:30, Pirate said:

can  anyone help me with identification. It looks to have a Turkish fuze on to with most of original paint. Is it worth much?IMG-20200725-WA0000.jpg.59db00860c4bff7935653fab12da2b36.jpg479818934_IMG-20200719-WA00132.jpg.90f46b32fcd1bb9424821ecc6775f0a7.jpg 

Note that the shell has a western-style number on it...

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Note that the shell has a western-style number on it...

Hi. Well spotted. Yes I did notice that.  There is also a number 2 halfway down the shell.

From what I've learnt the shell would of been made by Germany for the Turkish army  hence the western numbers.  Then the Turkish put there own fuzes on. 

Many thanks 

Dave 

• 1 year later...