Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is replica ? and R&G firing ?

BIFFO

find a page from 13 wr w.d,it mentions replica,I thought it a replica trench or  course it isnt,,on this page it is mentioned alot,you can march to it,officers can ride to it but no where can I see what it is,also whats an r&g ?

:poppy:

GWF 1.jpg

Hi Biffo

I read that entry on  10/7 as “ Range practice, wiring & R.G. firing” where in my opinion it is short for Rifle Grenade.

I can’t see why it isn’t a replica of a trench system, but the again it is late😁

Hello John,duh yep rifle grenade

you well ?

Does "replica" refer to a life sized model of the area of an intended attack, laid out in a rear area, so that troops could familiarise themselves with the terrain, objectives, etc. and practice the attack.

Martin

Thank you Martin:thumbsup:

,sounds possible similar to prior attack on Vimmy Ridge,tho its funny nowhere have they said what "relica2is

anyway nuffsead

22 hours ago, BIFFO said:

find a page from 13 wr w.d,it mentions replica,I thought it a replica trench or  course it isnt,,on this page it is mentioned alot,you can march to it,officers can ride to it but no where can I see what it is,also whats an r&g ?

GWF 1.jpg

Hi

As they are training 'on' or 'over' it then it is more likely to be a 'full scale' copy of a trench system, they would not need to explain it in the War Diary as at the time they would have all known what they were talking about.  'Copies' of the trench system that they were going to attack were part of the training system prior to the Somme in 1916, the idea is laid down in SS 109 'Training of Divisions for Offensive Action' of May 1916:

WW1may1916SS109trg001.jpg.020d16897f445d1f7f3f6342a492b72b.jpg

Also the XIII Corps War Diary, WO 95/895/7, mentions training over a 'reproduction' of the German trenches they were to attack prior to 1st July:

WW1may1916SS109trg003.jpg.0080c49c17956a1da5cda79c338718cf.jpg

Models were also used during this period but I don't think that is what is implied in your War Diary.

Mike

Thank you mike cleared that up thanks