Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Came across these here in the United States

THart

Yesterday, my daughter and I stopped by an antique shop looking for vinyl records for her collection and while I was looking around the shop, this one glass case caught my eye and I came across these.  I have no idea who it is, I just find it terribly ironic that I am researching my wife's ancestors in WWI and I would come across this completely by chance.

20200723_112628.jpg.c8e8b01f7c24717fc3c90129c2182fda.jpg

Britsh War & Victory medals for 1WW service.  The recipient was a 2nd class Air Mechanic in the RAF (Royal Air Force). He may have had previous service in either RNAS or RFC. RAF was formed 1 Apl 1918.

Medals tend to "travel around" somewhat over the years, they may have been in a collection(s) or were perhaps sold out out of his family for some reason many yrs ago. Its also possible H. Bashford moved to USA post 1WW.

Many UK citizens emigrated to both Canada & USA after the war to seek a better life over here, many veterans amongst those immigrants.

Someone might come along shortly & perhaps give you some information about Bashford's service.

Thanks for posting,

Bryan