Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art Identification Assistance

Hello everyone.  I recently picked up my first piece of trench art.  I really like the twisted bottom as well as the overall patina and design of it.  Can anyone point me to or help me identify more about this particular piece?  Any and all help would be highly appreciated!

The bottom of the piece says:

75 DEC

ATE

593 L

16     6

It also has what looks to be an L with an underscored n.  It also has it at another angle as you can see in the picture.  It looks a bit odd.  

MVIMG_20200723_214613.jpg

MVIMG_20200724_082112.jpg

MVIMG_20200724_082120.jpg

MVIMG_20200724_082147.jpg

Hello - It's a 75mm shell case for the French 75mm field gun.  The "ATE ...16" markings reveal that it was manufactured in Atelier de Constructions de Toulouse in 1916.  I hope that this information helps.  Regards, Torrey 

History guy,

Welcome to the forum.

The 75 DE C = 75 mm de champs; this is the French 75 mm quick-firing field gun.

I shall have to let the experts interpret the rest.

Regards,

JMB

The lower part of the shell case has been done in a twisted 'corset' style. Quite unusual. All done by manual hammering with the shell case filled with lead, which was melted out when the work was finished.

Thanks for the information so far.  Anyone know anything else about the other markings on the bottom?  I have at least a base of knowledge to do my own research off of too now.  

I’d never thought how they were decorated but filling it with lead makes perfect sense though I admit I wouldn’t have thought of it.

Simon

On 26/07/2020 at 15:01, Gunner Bailey said:

The lower part of the shell case has been done in a twisted 'corset' style. Quite unusual. All done by manual hammering with the shell case filled with lead, which was melted out when the work was finished.

Didn't know that! Thanks!

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Didn't know that! Thanks!

The lead inside the case stops the brass from splitting when hammered. When the work was complete the lead was melted and poured into the next case to be worked on. They were good metal workers in those days and really knew their stuff.

Am I correct, though, in thinking that a majority of these shell case trench art items are French 75's? Did the French have a rehabiliattion scheme post 1918 producing these?

Many are from French 75s because the French soldiers took up trench art making to supplement their meagre soldier's income and bought extra pinard with the proceeds. I saw an academic French history of Trench Art a few years ago, a huge expensive book which showed the process and there was one incredible picture of about 20 French soldiers all hammering away in their break from the trenches.

Post war many French farmers took up making trench art with the shells scattered all over their land. The quality was normally lower than that made by soldiers, who were normally factory workers or craftsmen in uniform. However it did supplement their income and they normally sold it to the tourists visiting the front line in the 1920s.

I have some items of Trench art that were made by my Grandfather an RE Sapper, which he brought home with him. Very basic and not up to the standard of much of the French work. Still he was a lift engineer not a metal worker.