Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are people's Favourite items in your collection?

What are people's Favourite items in your collection? I understand many many people have amazing collections comprising of very rare pieces, however i wondered what is that one item in your collection you cannot live without. The one piece you are so grateful for having. Is it a helmet? a rifle? a sword?

Let me know!

Harper

.....and some have a very small collection of WW1 'souvenirs' handed down through family, items that couldn't be bought for any amount and if they wished to add to it possibly couldn't afford to. Enjoy your collections.

My favourite in my small tin box (containing my entire collection) would be my Grandads pair, medals that I was told 30 years ago had been lost, but upon the death of my final Aunt it appeared  she not only had them but also approximately 100 photos/postcards of his time as a POW. I was delighted to confirm what I had attempted to research (pre internet) was correct but less pleased with the hundreds of miles of hitch hiking (Manchester to Kew more than once) which only proved what she knew but didnt like the thought of her several siblings finding out what she had spirited away.

Simon

The usual question is....

If there's a fire, what item would you take with you (assuming you can carry only one).

Almost impossible to answer. but it reminds me to check the house insurance 

My answer would be similar to Simons; grandfather's medals - Pip, Squeak and Wilfred and the CdG.

Father’s WW2 medals probably. But if we’re staying WW1, his father’s WW1 trio & cap badge. But that’s 2 things, I guess.

Its always likely to be a family-related item I’d imagine?

If I were to chose something for purely aesthetic reasons it wouldn’t be the medals. It would probably be a WW1 Memorial Plaque which I bought for £10 from a market stall in London about 25 years ago. The dull bronze has been polished to a bright shiny finish, and many of the high points on the design had been polished flat. It had clearly been reverentially cared for until very recently by one of his children, or maybe even his widow. It had come from a house clearance. I often reflect on the associations between memory and objects (it’s pretty much the story of my life, hence my original comment about having ‘several collections’) - and this plaque is a perfect symbol of this to my mind. Turned out that the man is buried in a common grave in a local cemetery.

22 hours ago, mancpal said:

.....and some have a very small collection of WW1 'souvenirs' handed down through family, items that couldn't be bought for any amount and if they wished to add to it possibly couldn't afford to. Enjoy your collections.

My favourite in my small tin box (containing my entire collection) would be my Grandads pair, medals that I was told 30 years ago had been lost, but upon the death of my final Aunt it appeared  she not only had them but also approximately 100 photos/postcards of his time as a POW. I was delighted to confirm what I had attempted to research (pre internet) was correct but less pleased with the hundreds of miles of hitch hiking (Manchester to Kew more than once) which only proved what she knew but didnt like the thought of her several siblings finding out what she had spirited away.

Simon

Hi Simon, 

What a lovely grouping of items to have. I can't imagine the joy rushing through you when you found it. It clearly went to a good home, maybe your aunt had planned it that way! Can't beat a photo or a postcard, that little glimpse into someones life that we will never be able to understand again. Thankyou for sharing

Harper

22 hours ago, Interested said:

The usual question is....

If there's a fire, what item would you take with you (assuming you can carry only one).

Almost impossible to answer. but it reminds me to check the house insurance 

My answer would be similar to Simons; grandfather's medals - Pip, Squeak and Wilfred and the CdG.

A lovely piece to remember them and their heroism by, nothing more fitting. Something anyone can understand the importance of, even if they aren't an avid history buff/collector. Thankyou for sharing.

Harper

On 23/07/2020 at 17:24, headgardener said:

Which collection...? Some of us have more than one! 😎🤪😀

21 hours ago, headgardener said:

Father’s WW2 medals probably. But if we’re staying WW1, his father’s WW1 trio & cap badge. But that’s 2 things, I guess.

Its always likely to be a family-related item I’d imagine?

If I were to chose something for purely aesthetic reasons it wouldn’t be the medals. It would probably be a WW1 Memorial Plaque which I bought for £10 from a market stall in London about 25 years ago. The dull bronze has been polished to a bright shiny finish, and many of the high points on the design had been polished flat. It had clearly been reverentially cared for until very recently by one of his children, or maybe even his widow. It had come from a house clearance. I often reflect on the associations between memory and objects (it’s pretty much the story of my life, hence my original comment about having ‘several collections’) - and this plaque is a perfect symbol of this to my mind. Turned out that the man is buried in a common grave in a local cemetery.

To say i'm jealous is an understatement! I would love to have multiple collections, although, im sure your bank account and/or partner can't be too chuffed!

You can never go wrong with a family item. That last insight into your family history and a brave soul who unfortunately is no longer with us. I wish my family had kept ours... Must be lovely for you to have both the WW1 and WW2 medals, father and son. Glad they reside with one another.

Equally a death plaque is rather a fascinating thing. To think this is all some people had to remember their loved ones by (in terms of a memorial) is rather poignant. We can only begin to imagine how special these items were to loved ones. I have one of which a wife rubbed everyday for the rest of her life and thus she had to write her husbands name on the back. 

Thankyou for sharing.

Harper

Harper, 

I didnt find it quite so fantastic hitching a lift there and back  (to Kew) when it transpired the information was a couple of miles from home. The upshot is that my cousins realised I had spent time and effort looking into our grandfather and despite one of them being a major history follower I received 'Berts pair' and postcard collection upon her passing. They will never be for sale. The postcards/photos are safely preserved in an album and his pair are in my small tin, should I ever get burgled I think the rogues are more likely to pinch my biscuit tin because its much larger than my collection,

Simon

Edited by mancpal

My Grandpa's identity discs mean more to me than anything else of his.  My uncle has his medals but the discs were with Ted throughout the war.  They are still attached to the original string - well, what's left of it, anyway.

Jonathan

I've been an avid collector of historical artifacts all my life but the one item which stands out is a simple rising sun cap badge. On my first visit to Gallipoli I wanted to roughly follow the path taken by the 11th Battalion on the morning of the 25th April 1915.. Near the end of the hike from Anzac Cove I came out onto Bolton's Ridge just below Lone Line. I stood there among the old Australian trenches in wonderment and just took in the atmosphere. To my astonishment sitting a short distance way and partially exposed in the soil was this complete cap badge. I have often thought about the owner and if he was fortunate enough to survive the campaign and the war.

Somewhat scary thought..

collection of limited edition prints that I have no real connection with apart from a couple with dads signature on.

120+ different family named ww1 medals, probably not. Apart from name, no connection. And paperwork!!

the first trio and plaque mounted in a shield that started me off. No connection with him.

grandfathers brothers medals and plaques, recently purchased, maybe.

grandfathers red book and piece of shrapnel that came from his head, maybe.

the British motorcycles and spares. Hmm , will I ever ride them again?

the wife's collection of shrapnel balls and shells. It's hers, upto her to take.

my collection of 

Roy Barrett Rockles, Sting (Ace Face), is the one they want, got a few personalised ones as well.

seriously , as entering the twilight years wil have to start clearing out. Youngest son might want but eldest will only see the money he can get from selling.

we are temporary custodians, holding for the next proud owner. Which comes around to one of my older posts.. Given another 20 or 30 years, will anyone still be collecting this tat....:(

• 2 months later...

I have too many collections and era’s I collect. Early would be a very nice Belgian Terssen rifle with a gorgeous pioneer saw back for it and the rare M79 Border Guard short rifle with even rarer bayonet

WW1, would say the many early (S71 type) bayonets with war time units, like ersatz

WW2. Mint 98K.  Mint SVT- Afraid my collecting is all over the place

photos of the favorite items would be great if possible

Hey Robins2, the moderators May lock my post if go outside Great War era, I did a rather large post of “ The S71 PFM. The Broad Blade Saw back”, also, hear are some S14. S15 German bayonets  and a few other Rare War time bayonets you might like. Some of those old pointy things

8A8A8361-288E-4546-A9C0-5566BBEB4872.jpeg

D0FBB5ED-1B25-4AD6-8F80-34F85F2FA75F.jpeg

F867D539-2BE3-4097-AFA6-B65CA456FD93.jpeg

B86B0789-0B2D-44A8-B0DC-EB09DADF4131.jpeg

impressive collection  thanks for posting, some unique items there

regards

Bob R.