Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J H Winter - 94 Brigade 21 Division RFA

LittleOwl

Our grandad was killed near M20200722_221106.jpg.32bb6ecbdf99197b8d06a0655ee46adc.jpgontauban on 14 September 1916.  I've read the diary of the unit, but nothing comes to light about the event. Where else can I look? He is buried in Quarry Cemetery.  

His entry on Commonwealth War Graves says he was C Battery 94th Brigade RFA.

CWGC have another man from the same battery died that day- 25198 Sgt J Turner.  Perhaps something could be found about him ?

I see the war diary has detailed casualty lists, most unusual. It shows that same day that Sgt Turner, Gnr Winter were killed and 2 gunners wounded, all from the same C battery. The battery was in support of an attack that day across the Divisional front. It is likely that that a gun position was hit by counter fire from the German artillery. But I'm guessing.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Off the top of my head, Sgt Turner is buried next to or near Grandad.  

We are lucky that  he is listed in the diary, yet the details are foggy.  We would love to be able to follow him, especially as his medals were sold :(

Edited by LittleOwl

(I thought I posted this yesterday but  ??)

Gunner Todd 77750 who was wounded with that battery same day has a surviving medical record. It shows him suffering from a shrapnel ball or bullet that hit him that day. Such a wound would indeed come from an exploding artillery shell.

So it reinforces the idea that a gun position was hit by a shrapnel shell that perhaps killed the Sergeant (Turner) and one of the gunners (Winter) and wounded another gunner (Todd).

A pity the War Diary is not more detailed on the event but the fact that it has a detailed casualty list is quite exceptional.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Just now, charlie962 said:

(I thought I posted this yesterday but  ??)

Gunner Todd 77750 who was wounded with that battery same day has a surviving medical record. It shows him suffering from a shrapnel ball or bullet that hit him that day. Such a wound would indeed come from an exploding artillery shell.

So it reinforces the idea that a gun position was hit by a shrapnel shell that perhaps killed the Sergeant (Turner) and one of the gunners (Winter) and wounded another gunner (Todd).

A pity the War Diary is not more detailed on the event but the fact that it has a detailed casualty list is quite exceptional.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie!  I never thought of looking into the other's records - d'oh. 

LO