Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with ID of Imperial WWI Feldmutze

AC00

3 minutes ago, Tom K said:

I would surely question whether it would be appropriate to apply the word "reputable" to an auction house that, whether knowingly or unknowingly, sold a fake item but resorts to relying on a technicality of language to evade responsibility. 

As Old Robinhood says - Don't let it turn you off. I too have paid my fair share of "tuition" over the years - even when buying from reputable well established dealers - they don't know everything either. Learn from it. Buy books and references instead of "stuff" and keep an eye out for the next treasure. Even factoring in the odd bad purchase, overall it is a rewarding and interesting pass time.

Tom K

I used the word reputable in the sense that no reputable auction house would use such a wording.

I was in no way validating the unnamed auction house.

5 hours ago, AC00 said:

Thanks for the support the auction house mentioned the word "Type " was in the title. they know full well they are selling fake items and rely on the lack of knowledge of collectors !!

Allan

Allan,

I know the auction house through your description. We have all learned hard lessons but its always worth checking the Auctioneers T&Cs in your case   ***** ALL GOODS ARE SOLD AS SEEN *****. This tells you more that anything about the scruples of such businesses.  Good books and reputable dealers with a money back guarantee would be my advice.

Regards

Mark  

6 hours ago, depaor01 said:

I used the word reputable in the sense that no reputable auction house would use such a wording.

I was in no way validating the unnamed auction house.

I didn't take your post as validation - I was  trying to indicate my agreement with you .

5 hours ago, Tom K said:

I didn't take your post as validation - I was  trying to indicate my agreement with you .

:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, mark holden said:

Allan,

I know the auction house through your description. We have all learned hard lessons but its always worth checking the Auctioneers T&Cs in your case   ***** ALL GOODS ARE SOLD AS SEEN *****. This tells you more that anything about the scruples of such businesses.  Good books and reputable dealers with a money back guarantee would be my advice.

Regards

Mark  

'Type', 'style' and 'after' or 'school of' (for artworks) are time-served weasel words from auction houses; and one should run a mile from such things.

Except in the case of paintings, where you're happy with something that looks like a Constable as long as you're also happy that it's not a Constable.

However, I think the current circumstances put a new onus on auction houses for straight dealing.

As Seen, or the equally common As Found, is all well and good; but while sales are now virtual and viewings cannot be held, the houses must do a much, much better job of photography and condition descriptions. And/ or allow more latitude for returns, given how much harder it is to make an assessment of an object.

To give you an example: I occasionally attend Thomas del Mar arms and armour in Kensington (for swords). Its lots are original, within my knowledge, its catalogues are lovely and the photography is excellent - as far as it goes.

But in the past, its perception of the condition of some lots has been very different to mine and, on attendance, I have found items described as good or better to be quite indifferent. (Wallis and Wallis's 'good' was stuff to avoid too, unless ninepence).

If I'd bought those items unseen on commission in normal times, I would have been very unhappy - but that would be my bad luck/ judgement/ choices. Not having the option to view currently though, I would be even unhappier - and believe a house should offer the option to rescind the sale in such a situation.

When viewings are available again, as prior to Covid, I think you do have to take your chances as the opportunity is yours and onus is on you - even if the other side of the world - to satisfy yourself.

'Twas ever thus, and anyone that ever thought that auctioneers were ever guarantors of originality has been deluding themselves.

But, finally, and with respect to the OP, the use of the word 'type' should have been a massive flag not to touch it.

Cheers.

GT.