Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with ID of Imperial WWI Feldmutze

AC00

Just come into possession of a WW1 Feldmutze for my WW1 collection, Would anybody be able to advise as to the originallity of the cap and for which unit. A quick web search shows that the markings F.E.A.1 1916 relates to Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilung 1 

Any information would be appreciated

303ba18b-9bee-4a37-93b7-abf400d93e3f.jpg

bd942a58-617b-471d-8ce6-abf400d93a79.jpg

I am afraid I don't like it. The black band should have red piping to the top and bottom and the liner looks wrong to me. I think its a repro but thats my opinion from the photos shown. I have six and none have that type of liner. Lets see what others say.

Edited by trenchtrotter

I am with TT but more photos would help. If this was off ebay then the majority on offer are sadly fakes the ageing is now part of the deceivers business. If it was from a reputable dealer I would be returning it.

Mark

I do not like the stitching either.

The other red flag is this visible join in the piping. Should not be present. Sorry.

DB5E739E-5512-42C3-B95E-2030CB3F121C.jpeg

And the marking using the elaborate gothic font... Markings were in normal roman letters.

If it was a recent Auction in the North West of England a large percentage of the items were fakes. 

AC00 i fear so. You could contact them and ask for a refund. Its not good at all.

17 hours ago, AC00 said:

I will contact them tomorrow and let you know the outcome

If collecting Imperial German, can I recommend the Feldzug series to you?

The 1914 volume is sold out/ out of print, but the rest of them can be had here: http://www.militarymodepublishing.com/

While they may seem superficially expensive, the remaining set of four is less than half the price of a real - or dodgy - feldmutze.

It has lots of examples close up, which clearly show the differences between this and real ones.

On 23/07/2020 at 12:45, trenchtrotter said:

The other red flag is this visible join in the piping. Should not be present. Sorry.

DB5E739E-5512-42C3-B95E-2030CB3F121C.jpeg

How should it be joined TT, as I can't imagine how it'd be continuous?

Cheers,

GT.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 12:45, trenchtrotter said:

3 hours ago, Grovetown said:

How should it be joined TT, as I can't imagine how it'd be continuous?

I took TT to mean a join visible from the front, instead of hidden at the back where it would be less obvious when worn, eg:

H3323-L147341316[1].jpg

Interesting to see the same style MW initials on a different example though... :mellow:

Edited by Andrew Upton

34 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

I took TT to mean a join visible from the front, instead of hidden at the back where it would be less obvious when worn, eg:

H3323-L147341316[1].jpg

Interesting to see the same style MW initials on a different example though... :mellow:

Thanks.

That one has a better lining, yet according to TT above, also lacks waffenfarbe around the black band meaning it's possibly dodgy too.

Cheers,

GT.

Feldmutze.jpg

I think both examples are dodgy. As far as I could determine, the un-piped black band and red piping on the crown does not correspond to any WW1 German formation (I am happy to be corrected on this).   The fact that the same MW appears in both is a huge red flag too.

The coloured band is never sewn onto the body of the cap on originals. Both for solid colour and piped, it is let into the cap -  the seaming is inside and stitching is not visible. As mentioned above - air mechanics generally wore caps with black bands with red piping. Flyers wore the caps of their original units or if enlisted directly into the air services, wore caps with a light grey band and piping (I've only ever seen one in the flesh and that was an officer's cap and was more than 30 years ago).

The piping on both the dodgy hats is too thick and coarse and further, the piping join on all the original caps I have seen - even late war universal caps - is so fine as to be practically invisible - the ends should be butt stitched and you really have to look to find it.

Edited by Tom K

Hi Grovetown. In reply to the q re the join then as the last poster said. Extremely well joined and hidden. And as for Andrews cap also imho a copy/ reproduction. From same source as posters I think. A big red flag for me is the stitching on the liner where it joins the base is the cap. Looks machined and totally opposite to originals. My opinion is based on experience, seeing lots of them, chats with dealers and collectors and I have six. My opinion of course. Others may disagree. And I agree re initials.

Edited by trenchtrotter

13 hours ago, Tom K said:

I think both examples are dodgy. As far as I could determine, the un-piped black band and red piping on the crown does not correspond to any WW1 German formation (I am happy to be corrected on this).   The fact that the same MW appears in both is a huge red flag too.

The coloured band is never sewn onto the body of the cap on originals. Both for solid colour and piped, it is let into the cap -  the seaming is inside and stitching is not visible. As mentioned above - air mechanics generally wore caps with black bands with red piping. Flyers wore the caps of their original units or if enlisted directly into the air services, wore caps with a light grey band and piping (I've only ever seen one in the flesh and that was an officer's cap and was more than 30 years ago).

The piping on both the dodgy hats is too thick and coarse and further, the piping join on all the original caps I have seen - even late war universal caps - is so fine as to be practically invisible - the ends should be butt stitched and you really have to look to find it.

Good post.

13 hours ago, Tom K said:

air mechanics generally wore caps with black bands with red piping.

My understanding is that this was for engineers or technical types generally, of which air mechanics would be included.

2 hours ago, trenchtrotter said:

Hi Grovetown. In reply to the w re the join then as the last poster said. Extremely well joined and hidden. And as for Andrews cap also imho a copy/ reproduction. From same source as posters I think. A big red flag for me is the stitching on the liner where it joins the base is the cap. Looks machines and totally opposite to originals. My opinion is based on experience, seeing lots of them, chats with dealers and collectors and I have six. My opinion of course. Others may disagree. And I agree re initials.

Thanks - good info.

Cheers,

GT.

Well contacted the auction house, in a nutshell. They completely put the blame at my door!!

Will not go there again. Should have stuck to my MM collection

Thanks to all for your support and advice

Allan

5 hours ago, Grovetown said:

My understanding is that this was for engineers or technical types generally, of which air mechanics would be included.

Yes - and artillery.

27 minutes ago, AC00 said:

Well contacted the auction house, in a nutshell. They completely put the blame at my door!!

Will not go there again. Should have stuck to my MM collection

Thanks to all for your support and advice

Allan

Name them. They should not sell tat. How did they list it?

Greetings from Sherwood Forest

None of us like making a mistake but I doubt that any collector out there hasn't ever made one.

I know that over 50 years I have made quite a few . Just put it down to experience .

Don't let it put you off collecting.

Old Robin Hood

Thanks for the support the auction house mentioned the word "Type " was in the title. they know full well they are selling fake items and rely on the lack of knowledge of collectors !!

Allan

Shocking. Surely 'reproduction' would have been more accurate. 

Very sharp practice for a reputable auctioneer. 

I would surely question whether it would be appropriate to apply the word "reputable" to an auction house that, whether knowingly or unknowingly, sold a fake item but resorts to relying on a technicality of language to evade responsibility. 

As Old Robinhood says - Don't let it turn you off. I too have paid my fair share of "tuition" over the years - even when buying from reputable well established dealers - they don't know everything either. Learn from it. Buy books and references instead of "stuff" and keep an eye out for the next treasure. Even factoring in the odd bad purchase, overall it is a rewarding and interesting pass time.

Tom K