Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War casaulty

GavinH

One of my relatives died while serving in the Boer War. He was 51078 Gunner Allen Tidy of the 64th Battery, Royal Field Artillery. His death certificate shows that he died of dysentry at Standerton on 28th May 1901.

Can anyone suggest how I can find out where he was buried, and whether his grave still exists?

Thanks for any help

Gavin

Try searching the forum for "Boer War". A month orf two back I posted details of a site that deals with South Africans killed in War, including both sides in the 2nd Boer War.

If nothing else, you could try an email to the site owner.

Gavin

There are over 5000 British and Empire casualties buried in Standerton Military Cemetery.

Try contacting the address below:

National Monuments Commission, "War Graves Division",

PO Box 87552, Houghton 2041, South Africa.

nmc@intekon.co.za

Dave

Thanks very much for your replies. They're just what I was after. I'll contact the National Monuments Commission and see what they say.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin.

I don't know if this is of any interest to you as it shows you nothing you don't already know, but this is from the "South African War Casualty Roll" section covering 1st January 1901 to 30th June 1901.

Your relative's battery lost 3 in this 6 month period...

Dave.

post-8-1109027180.jpg

• 9 months later...

Gavin

Found these in the Times:

The Times Tues April 2nd 1901

A Cape Town report of March 31 gives the following dangerously ill all on March 30th of enteric, except where otherwise stated ....

Standerton

R.F.A. 2nd Brigade ammunition column 5078 Gnr A TIDY

He is listed as 'dangerously ill' in the Times April 10 1901 and in the April 25th Times 1901, in May 30th 1901 he is listed as 'dangerously ill' with dysentery

On Saturday June 1st 1901 he is listed under the 'Deaths from Disease' '

R.F.A. 2nd Brigade ammunition column 5078 Gnr A TIDY, Standerton May 28th, dysentery

Probably not telling you anything you didn't already know but just passing it on

Caryl

Caryl,

Thanks very much for this information which is new to me. I hadn't considered checking The Times, in the mistaken believe that the death on a Gunner from disease wouldn't merit a mention.

It seems that his last illness was quite protracted. I wonder if his parents first learnt of his death in the morning paper.

Thanks again

Gavin

"In Memorium" by Steve Watt lists him as being buried at Standerton Cemetery. His name is listed on the main monument at the site. There is also an abbreviation that means he was exhumed at some point, but the location is still Standerton. It may have been he was in a smaller cemetery which was later incorporated into the main cemetery.

Steve Watts database is, I believe, the basis for the information the Commonwealth War Graves Commission will hold on the Boer War graves in South Africa.

I never received a reply from the South African National Monuments Commission, so this information is very welcome. I would assume from this that his actual grave is no longer marked. Thanks very much for taking the time to post it.

Regards

Gavin