Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry Gething MM 198962 RHA and RFA B/312 Brigade

Hutton

William Henry Gething was my grandfather. Although I've managed to find quite a few records of his service over the years, and Ancestry.co.uk has thrown up discharge papers, etc., I have never been able to discover exactly where he fought in France, which campaigns his unit was involved in, and in particular, why he was aware the MM. From family chat over the years, I've heard that as a man who loved his horses, he couldn't bear to see and hear them suffering, and so often went out to dispatch injured horses. Whether that is true or simply apocryphal, I don't know. I must admit, I should have thought he'd be more likely to be put on a charge for doing such a thing! Anyway, if anyone who knows their way around all these military records rather better than I do, I should be really glad to hear from you. He enlisted on 3/1/1917 and was discharged on 23/5/1919. He was a Gunner/Signaller and born in 1892 and 1970.

His record shows he served entirely with B/312 during his time in France and Germany (B battery, 312th Brigade RFA).

You need to consult the War Diary which can be downloaded from here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355369

It is also available via Ancestry with a subscription.

312bde were part of the Army of Occupation in 1919, 51st Division, based in the Germund area near Cologne.

GETHING WILLIAM HENRY GUNNER 198962 312TH WEST RIDING BRIGADE RFA TF  SCHEDULE NUMBER 204921 RP/ NUMBER 68/121/737/ 

SCHEDULE NUMBER REVEALS MM WON WITH SGT G E WAKEFIELD 786188 312 BDE RFA..L/GAZ; 11.2.19. COVERS THE PERIOD 8.8.18. TO 13.9.18.

*2 AWARDS TO 310 /BDE RFA  TO SGT G H EGGETT AND SGT G DARLING AWARDED FOR THE SAME ACTION.

This is fascinating information which complements the help already given by other members. Thank you.

As I am very much a novice in military research, I'm not sure where to go from here! I've downloaded the War Diary, as recommended by David Porter, and some time ago, I bought the book 'War Services of the 62nd West Riding Divisional Artillery' by A T Anderson. My grandfather's award of MM is listed in the book, but there are no details. Likewise, although some awards of the MM are mentioned by name in the War Diary, my grandfather's name doesn't appear. What really interests me is what he actually did to be awarded the medal, although I guess this may not be recorded?

I am fascinated that somewhere there is the detail you have identified. The TF Schedule Number and all that follows, is completely new to me. Is this a record that I could access? Is there

more detail to discover? Any further guidance you can give me would be really helpful. Thank you

.Various_0017.jpeg.025ac14254ecdcfa4dc4dd4a210f54b3.jpeg  Gunner William Henry Gething MM 198962 - B/312 Brigade

You may be interested in this photo from 1919 of a Concert Party(?), on the back it says Highland Division(51st) Most men are still very haggard looking so only my Grandfather and one other have been identified.

1583874574_HighlandDivisionGermundRhineArmy.jpg.68e1d1f98cf36c409a926cfe3b341e3c.jpg