Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planning of Royal Marine's Gallipoli Campaign

yeokeith

An Oxfordshire Hussars officer, a Lieutenant Colonel Eustace-Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, was seconded to the Royal Marines as an Intelligence Officer to help in the planning and execution of the Gallipoli campaign. I am trying to ascertain the date when he left the UK with the Marines. He was known to be in Malta en route on 8th March 1915. I have trawled the Embarkation Returns WO25/3535 without finding him. The reason for the search is to determine whether he took any Oxfordshire Hussars OR's with him as we have identified at least 5 men who started their service in Egypt yet their regiment served only in France & Flanders. Obviously, any OR's names won't be listed in the Returns, just their regiment and the number of men.  Eustace had returned to the UK by 25th Oct 1915 due to ill-health but once-again I have not found him on any embarkation returns. Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, yeokeith said:

was seconded to the Royal Marines as an Intelligence Officer to help in the planning and execution of the Gallipoli campaign.

The RND GHQ Staff lists him as Deputy Assistant Adjutant & Quarternaster General.

GOC RND and most of his HQ Staff embarked in HMT FRANCONIA at Avonmouth on 1 March 1915 and stopped at Malta on 8 and 9 March. Most (but not all) of the HQ Staff are listed among the 134 RND officers emabrked in FRANCONIA and T-W-FIENNES is on the list with his immediate superior, Lt Col GS RICHARDSON RM (Asst Adj & Qr-Mr Gen). The RND HQ embarked in FRANCONIA comprised 14 officers and 36 other ranks (un-named). [TNA ADM 137/3088A (Schedule B)]

I have no firm date for his departure from Gallipoli but he is no longer on the RND HQ Staff List on 18 September 1915 so leaving in early September might be a good guess.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you so very much for your response and how quickly you responded. So there are embarkation returns other than those in WO25. When next in Kew I'll have a look at ADM 137/3088A.. I assume from your response that the Oxfordshire Hussars isn't listed as a regiment with men on board

Thank you again.

Keith