Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps of Passchendaele

BillieBoy

I’ve been researching the Battle of Passchendaele for a bit now, and I’ve noticed many names and locations pop up in documents that I’ve read that I haven’t seen on many maps. Places such as the fortified farms and pillboxes that were spread throughout the salient. Are there any accurate maps that are easy to find/gain access too that include the locations of these places?  

Hi BillieBoy,

Possible avenues for you:

1. Search for the name using the list of 20,000 names on McMaster University's list of 20,000 terms - start with the option for Trench;
  2. All of their terms derive from Peter Chasseaud's book Rat's Alley - buy this online for a nominal amount, with download option;
  3. A separate list of around 20,000 place names with some trench names is searchable at tMapper.com - use these to zoom around with overlays from the National Library of Scotland's trench maps;
  4. Follow the link in McMaster and check the trench maps for Sheet 28 - you can even download the maps; and
  5. Post some of the names you are looking for and others will assist.

Good luck.

Hello Billieboy

Welcome to the Forum, following on from WhiteStarLine there is another book I would recommend, a copy of “Gazetteer of the Western Front” by John Reed. A useful reference for many buildings, from villages, hamlets to individual properties, including farms and other structures and features, including military establishments.

Take a look here:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gazetteer-Western-Front-John-Reed/dp/1783310243

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

“Gazetteer of the Western Front” by John Reed

Thanks.  You reminded me Knotty that through the kind permission of John Reed, 2/3rds of the entries on tMapper are actually taken from John's work.  Not that I'm suggesting you don't buy the book!

17 hours ago, Knotty said:

Thanks mate, I’ll definitely have a look at the Gazetteer. Surprised I didn’t already know if this but I guess you learn something new everyday

18 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Thank you for the multiple resources! Definitely will have a look at these