Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Hobbs, Victor G. 158694 MGC

CassieRae

The soldier I am now researching is Pte Hobbs, Victor G. 158694 who joined (no date so far) the Machine Gun Corps(Infantry) 63rd Bn

LLT shows: 63rd MG Company    Formed Grantham. Moved to France and joined 21st Division, 4 March 1916, at Armentieres. Joined 37th Division with Brigade, 8 July 1916. Moved into No 37 Bn, MGC 4 March 1918.

Looking at War Diaries  UK, WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920

I searched the MGC 37th Div and page 129 and the date 14th Nov shows:11th Armistice then Bn moved to billets in Caudry, then the dates 12th to 30th with seemingly no casualities. On the 8th though: 1 o.r. wounded accidentally. Could this possibly be Pte Hobbs and can I discover this other than his service record?  He was buried Cambrai East Military Cemetery died 14 November 1918.nov-4-9-1918.jpg.1561a7c89b7ddba378eba53e68602c49.jpgnov-10-30th-1918.jpg.7737b77a3f9a64a15e83afd2d3be75e8.jpg

I don't want to make an error, so would someone kindly check this for me please? and what does o.r. mean please?

Edited by CasseRae

• Admin

In February/March 1918 the MGC was reorganised.  Prior to that date the Corps were attached to, and numbered with the Infantry Brigades to which they were attached.  Following the reorganisation the Companies were incorporated into Battalions and numbered for the Division to which they were attached.  They became Divisional Troops.  63rd Battalion MGC were the Divisional MG Battalion fo the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division.

Pte Hobbs was posted and transferred to the MGC on, or around the 10th June 1918.  This cohort were posted to France and the BEF at the beginning of September 1918.  The war diary for 63rd MGC Bn. for the 9th September shows a draft of 83 other ranks arrived.

The diary shows they were in action on the 10th November, suffering a number of casualties.

The cemetery where he was interred is associated with 22 CCS in November 1918 (CWGC).

10 hours ago, kenf48 said:

In February/March 1918 the MGC was reorganised.  Prior to that date the Corps were attached to, and numbered with the Infantry Brigades to which they were attached.  Following the reorganisation the Companies were incorporated into Battalions and numbered for the Division to which they were attached.  They became Divisional Troops.  63rd Battalion MGC were the Divisional MG Battalion fo the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division.

Pte Hobbs was posted and transferred to the MGC on, or around the 10th June 1918.  This cohort were posted to France and the BEF at the beginning of September 1918.  The war diary for 63rd MGC Bn. for the 9th September shows a draft of 83 other ranks arrived.

The diary shows they were in action on the 10th November, suffering a number of casualties.

The cemetery where he was interred is associated with 22 CCS in November 1918 (CWGC).

Sorry have I then quoted from the incorrect War Diary?  In the extracts I psted there were no casulaties on 10th

10 hours ago, kenf48 said:

• Admin
2 hours ago, CasseRae said:

Sorry have I then quoted from the incorrect War Diary?  In the extracts I psted there were no casulaties on 10th

Yes you have the wrong war diary.

As explained according to CWGC he was serving in 63rd Battalion Machine Gun Corps.  As he did not go to France until  after the reorganisation of the Corps (transfer to MGC June 1918) he never served in 63 Company and therefore was not posted to 37th Battalion in March. 

Two other casualties from the RND who died on the 15th are shown on the Registration Report at CWGC and buried in the same row as Pte Hobbs.  You will have noted in the documentation on CWGC the line Machine Gun Corps Infantry is circled in red, struck through and RND Battalion substituted.

SDGW  shows 'died of wounds' formerly 41864 Royal Berkshire though he did not, apparently go on active service with that Regiment.  The Effects Register shows he died at 30 CCS not 22 as previously stated, according to CWGC both were associated with the Cemetery.

No gratuity is shown but a reference to another entry, my guess is there was some confusion because he was attached to the RND.

Birth registered in the last quarter of 1899 he was not liable for active service overseas until aged 19 at this stage of the war so September 1918 is about right.

6 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

No gratuity is shown but a reference to another entry, my guess is there was some confusion because he was attached to the RND.

The second entry shows a war gratuity of £5 - less than 12 months service.

Craig

Thank you both for the help Craig and Ken and many thanks for the explanation. Maybe I shall be better at interpreting the records when I come to end of this project. You see things that I must glance at and not understand the significance.;-((  Onwards and upwards!