Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crash sites and dates

temptage

Does anyone know of a list online or in a book which lists all known sites where Allied plane crashes were?

Im trying to find details of a crash (i believe to be south east of Bapaume) on 19 August 1918. Pilot possibly called Hazen.

Hi, depends on the detail youn need. Lt Thomas Douglas Hazen (56 Sqn) from Sarnia, Ontario Canada was downed that day in SE5a (E1348). (From Airmen Died in the Great War DVD). Henshaw (the book recommended above) records it was a close offensive patrol. Hazen was seen in combat with many Fokker DVII's east of Baupame at 12000ft ~ 7.45am. He was seen to come down out of control in a flat spin and was reported MIA. He wasn't found and is on the Arras Memorial.

3 hours ago, Sprucey said:

Hazen was seen in combat with many Fokker DVII's east of Baupame at 12000ft ~ 7.45am. He was seen to come down out of control in a flat spin and was reported MIA. He wasn't found...... 

🤫 😉

Temptage. Details given by Sprucey are correct. Hazen of 56 Sqdn was shot down by Vzfw Josef Mai of Jasta 5. He was part of a patrol led by Capt Owen Holleran. Holleran's diary entry for this patrol says that after a combat with twenty Fokker D.VIIs and Fokker Triplanes  the flight rendezvoused (sic) over Aveluy Wood  and one of the Flight was missing, Bill Hazen. Holleran's entry says: ' I ceased to worry then as I knew Bill was an extraordinary good pilot and I concluded that he had pulled off north in order to split the Huns....   Hervey told me after we had landed that he had seen poor old Bill going down in a circus spiral near Ligny with two Huns after him. I am most horribly cut up over the show, not only at losing a man, but that the man should be Bill Hazen, my tent mate and one of the whitest, bravest youngsters who ever lived.'

Source: High in the Empty Blue THe history of 56 Squadron RFC RAF 1916 -1919

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/785996?Thomas Douglas Hazen

s

Photo of Thomas Douglas Hazen
Photo of Thomas Douglas Hazen – Enlisted with the Divisional Signal Corps at Cobalt, Ontario on June 9, 1917. Transferred to the Royal Air Force. Trained in Texas, killed at Bapaume, August 19, 1918.
Edited by laughton
Glitch?